Pip and pensioners — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and pensioners

fatnav
fatnav Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm sure I read last year that pensioners with conditions that is untreatable e.g. M.S. that the time between re assessment would be longer and light touch. Can anyone tell me if it has been implemented and if so what conditions are included. 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It will apply to those of state pension age who's circumstances are unlikely to change and they will be given a 10 year award with a light touch review.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fatnav
    fatnav Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you. It seems like I will have another assessment as I was awarded my pip 2018. Mind you knowing my luck my condition, cmt, which is an inherited, won't come under it.
  • poppy123456
    There's no actual conditions that fall into any criteria because PIP is about how those conditions affect you. It's likely that you will have another review next time and then the 10 year award could be given if you're awarded again. Reviews now take place 6 months before the award is due to end and not 12 months before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    There's no actual conditions that fall into any criteria because PIP is about how those conditions affect you. It's likely that you will have another review next time and then the 10 year award could be given if you're awarded again. Reviews now take place 6 months before the award is due to end and not 12 months before.
    Why would it be likely if the claimant is over 65, which I assume fatnav is, and in receipt of a current PIP award?
  • poppy123456
    skullcap said:
    Why would it be likely if the claimant is over 65, which I assume fatnav is, and in receipt of a current PIP award?

Because it doesn't apply to ALL pensioners, if you had read the link i posted. There are pensioners that have been sent review forms and have posted on here, since the rule changes. 
  • skullcap
    edited February 2020
    Yes I have noticed that myself. Reading your link  it says that about 290,000 pensioners will not be reassessed but instead get a 10 year award. I think that what you are saying is that there are more than that number of pensioners currently on a PIP award. The difference would be those that the new rule would not apply.
    I wonder how many pensioners there are in total - 300,000, 400,000?
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea how many pensioners claim PIP.
  • skullcap
    edited February 2020
    I have read the link above which has incidentally tied in with a telephone conversation I had this morning with the DWP.

Since then, the Government has been forced to take action to address claimants’ struggles, which has led to changes to the PIP system such as scrapping reviews for those with severe or long-term conditions as well as for nearly 300,000 disabled pensioners.

The report above is misleading in that it states that the DWP are scrapping reviews for ………...nearly 300,000 disabled pensioners.

I'm 70 and have had PIP for the past 5 years (transferred from DLA) yet I have had a review form to fill in. With what the DWP told me when I asked why? they originally said that my original claim was not sufficient to make a decision on without a complete review. This morning I had a telephone call from a 'Case Manager?' who reiterated that not all will have the automatic 10 award at review time - it all depends on whether the evidence held from the original claim is sufficient to advise such an award. Some pensioners will still have to be reviewed under normal rules. She did say that the vast majority would not. I did ask how many would be reviewed in that way but all she could say that it would be a small proportion.

To say that ALL pensioners will not be reassessed does appear now to be exaggerated, the majority will not but a minority will.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.