ESA recording advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA recording advice needed

cookie80
cookie80 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
Hi I'm new here and really need help.
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I recieved a esa review form.
I filled it out and requested that I wish my assesment to be recorded. I also stated that should no recording equipment be available I could use my own recording equipment. I recieved an appointment 2 weeks later. I emailed maximus to confirm the assesment would be recorded. 2 days later they cancelled the assessment saying they would contact me again for another appointment. I asked why they cancelled they said they didnt have recording equipment on the day the appointment would be. I wrote a complaint that why distress people and get them worked up at having an appointment only for it to be cancelled over the lack of recording facilities. I stated that because I had requested it on the form that should count as a request for it to be recorded , so they should of sent an appointment when the equipment was available. The Manager replied that I have to request it to the centre of health and disability. Isnt the form sent to the centre of health and disability? I'm confused. Also they said I can not use 2 cassete recorders as one could fail to.work. Also the equipment has to have dual recording facilities. Is this true. Sorry for the long ramble 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

When you make a request for the work capability assessment to be recorded then this can delay the assessment process because as they correctly advised, the recording equipment isn't always available. All requests for recording a WCA are accommodated where possible so there's no guarantees i'm afraid. See link.

You can use your own equipment yes but it doesn't need to be a dual recording device, you can use 2 cassette recorders and 2 tapes but the tapes you use must be unopened when you arrive.

The forms are mostly sent straight to the health assessment providers but i wouldn't advise requesting something like this in the form. You should always ring to request the recording.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cookie80
     Thankyou for your reply I did say to the manager that I have my own recording equipment but she said it wouldn't be allowed.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

That's not correct, you can definitely use your own equipment providing it's either CD or tape recorders. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/updates/2018/08/recording-your-assessment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cookie80
    Thankyou for that. I will contact the manager again as I did say that rather than cancel my appointment I would rather use my own recording equipment but they told me I couldnt.
    So I will keep you updated of the outcome. Thankyou again
  • cookie80
    Hi. I contacted the maximus again and they are adamant that 2 cassete recorders are not allowed. It has to be a dual recording machine. She said that is what is ment by dual recorder that it has to be on the same recording device. It's all very confusing 
  • poppy123456
    It doesn't state anywhere that it has to be a dual recording. What it states is that you need to produce 2 identical copies and if this means using 2 devices then that's what you do. The advice you've been given is not correct.
  • cookie80
    That's what I thought but they said they spoke to the National Customer Relations Manager and the manager at the assessment centre and that they said they wouldn't allow 2 separate recorders
  • poppy123456
    Absolutely not correct. You should point them to the rules clearly stated on their website.
  • cookie80
    I did exactly that and that was when they gave me that answer about not being allowed. I think I may raise the issue with my MP
  • poppy123456
    Yes, your local MP sounds like the perfect idea. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.