Complex PTSD. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Complex PTSD.

chelseapaget
chelseapaget Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi! Im just wanting to get some advise on complex PTSD. My partner was diagnosed with PTSD in 2013 due to something that happened to him when he was just a child. Ive been doing some research and I actually believe he has been mis-diagnosed. My reason for this is because he suffers with all the symptoms of cPTSD and the cause of his PTSD was from a young age and from someone very close to him. He was seeing a therapist off his own back who wanted to try the EMDR once she had listened to what had actually happened to him. Surely his doctor should've picked up on his symptons etc, and stated that he needed this treatment and not just his therapist? I hate seeing him when hes having one of his episodes, and they are lasting even longer than before which have now resulted in him losing his job. I dont really know what im looking for in here but, some advice or help with what to do next would be amazing! 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chelseapaget Welcome to the community, I am community champion and its great to see you here. I'm sorry to hear about your partners issues and I'm sure there will be some members who can offer some advice unfortunately this is not my area of expertise. W are very friendly group 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chelseapaget and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm also sorry to hear about your partner's current health and can only imagine that this must be very distressing for you both.  I'm sorry we are not able to provide any medical solutions, but maybe there will be other members of the forum who have experienced similar situations to your partner and who are willing to share with you.

I hope you don't mind, but I have found the PTSD UK website who may be able to offer you and your partner some support, information and advice, if you want to have a look https://www.ptsduk.org/

Meantime, if we can be of any further help/support to you then please just ask and please keep in touch also and let us know how you are both getting on.  We are here to support you on the Community so please chat to us anytime.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @chelseapaget, how is your partner doing at the moment? I'm sorry to hear he is going through a difficult time and I imagine this is not easy for you either.

Everyone is entitled to a second opinion if they believe the diagnosis is wrong, this could be something to consider. 

Here is a guide for supporting someone with PTSD which you might find useful.
    Scope

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Check Mind. Emdr is often contra indicated for cpsd
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    So is any dwelling on or re-living unacceptable childhood experiences.   Counselling etc. Is suited for people who have straightforward  life experiences,  till one day they are mugged or similar events upset their customary view that the world is a safe place, so they need to tell someone all about it, before they regain a sense of perspective. 

However,  even then, counselling is a vast industry with an incentive to persuade as many as possible  that  The Thing That Happened  was absolutely terrible, and needs a lot of talking about. The book Cold Comfort  Farm had a character called  Aunt Ada, who took to her bed and ruled her family from there for years, on the grounds that she once 'saw something  nasty in the woodshed '.

Horrible things do happen,  and always will, and the more horrible they are, the less likely some counsellor will chance to have the faintest comprehension.   Concentration camp  or first war slaughter trench survivors or kids raped for years in institutions seldom told, because only their fellows would believe,  and they certainly wouldn't want to reminisce. 
  • sar84
    sar84 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sorry to hear that you are both suffering. I have c-PTSD. if you would like to chat let me know x

Brightness