Carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

Options
peklams
peklams Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm in receipt of pip standard rate, my sister needs a carer she is on high rate ESA and pip and entitled to a carer, can I claim carers allowance for being her carer 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @peclans, hello and welcome. To claim carers allowance goggle carers allowance and read all about the criteria for claiming the allowance. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    peklams said:
    I'm in receipt of pip standard rate, my sister needs a carer she is on high rate ESA and pip and entitled to a carer, can I claim carers allowance for being her carer 

HI and welcome,

That will depend on your circumstances. If you work and earn more than £123 per week then you won't be able to claim carers allowance. Also if you're a student then you won't be able to claim it.

You also need to check what benefits your sister is claiming. If she's claiming the severe disability premium in with her ESA then you claiming carers allowance will mean this premium will stop and she will lose £65.85 per week. Please check exactly what she's claiming before you do anything else.

If someone is claiming carers allowance already for looking after her then you won't be able to claim it for yourself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @peklams. I hope all the information given has helped, but if you do have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.