TURKEY BOLOGNESE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TURKEY BOLOGNESE

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one have to share this new way of doing Bolognese not with Mince but a Turkey Thigh joint in the oven long slow cook .

Shredded, melting and then to a Bolognese sauce.

Serve with you favourite Pasta I use whole meal Penne or Fusilli.

INGREDIENTS.

Frozen Onions, Carrots, Celery organic diced up roughly.

Passata jar of and stock cube made up used around a pint.

Bone in Turkey Thigh joint.

Italian seasoning. Or use Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.  One teaspoon of each could use Fennel Seeds or Basil dried if you so wish add to as well Chili flakes. To taste.

Tomato Puree a tablespoon.

METHOD

Large stockpot oven proof and add all ingredients. I do this way.  Vegetables first, stock cube water add Passata herbs Tomato Puree.

Sit joint on top . Cover on low 150 degrees for four hours.

Comes out leave to rest, another ten minutes remove. Careful be hot the joint should shred in the sauce as the vegetables be soft.

To a sauté pan and Pasta of your choice.

Not got Passata use Jars Pasta sauce Bolognese  add Carrots, Celery.

Same as before.

I do freeze any left over worth doing, useful as a meal to use not always Pasta.

Use lentils beans mixed ones or Mash or even top Baked Potatoes.

Please if you wish to add red wine to sauce please do or make it your own.

Please any questions or queries happy to answer anything about Italian Cuisine and food.

Technically Bolognese is a sauce used cheap cuts of meat and stock, cream and tomatoes with Tagliatelle .  With vegetables and Pancetta too rich for me and is also one of the most misunderstood recipes.

Bolognese is a Ragu sauce and worth freezing making big batches..  Goes with anything  Meat and Pasta.

Anything left over from Bolognese often cool it down better next day chance for flavours to mingle.

You can do the same with a Chicken large one ad in some roots and use those soup packs make a Ragu .

Soup add three meals.  Out of this Soup pasta and Ragu.

Please enjoy.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of turkey mince but I wonder if it'll make much difference when it's slow cooked and shredded. Thanks for the recipe Spiceman. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Adrian_Scope    Thank you for kind words, apparently according what I know the whole idea of using Mince it is a cheap meat.

I am not a fan either but love Bolognese so did some research and some looking on the web.

I thought has to be some answers .Remembered a chef on TV.

Theo Randall did the same recipe with Shin of Beef or using Braising Steak with Celery, some herbs and wine.

Went on line found it so thought adapt this for the tastes of my good self.

Those big Slow Cooker for four or five people be ideal if not wishing to use Oven, my new kitchen for me low and slow leave it.

Turkey Thigh TESCO sell it  around £3 or £4 but hell of a lot of meat.

Turkey Thigh is a very moist meat will not dry out . Used to buy Turkey Thigh diced at one time. ASDA used to sell Turkey sausages great one for Bolognese.

If you have Children out of skins diced or meatballs with a The Ragu Sauce mentioned.

Add to that another one buy a whole Shoulder of Pork . Same as above add in chillies few spices . Coriander, Cumin Paprika leave for long time done this before. Four hours plus or longer..

Shred it and use it for Chilli and mixed beans .

Absolutely memorable and any left over the freezer in to tubs or the sandwich and salad.  Shredded Pork Sandwich chilli sauce great Saturday night tea time favourite.

I used to do this for friends Children, make a change from Pizza and you made it and it is not spicy hot.

Just each sandwich topped with mayo or dressing add in yoghurt can be too cloying and pile the meat on.

Cooling drop of Tommy K and be amazing.

One other any stock vegetables left over fabulous Soup this time of year.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness