Long Term ESA Auto BACS payments stopped (for unbelievable reason). — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long Term ESA Auto BACS payments stopped (for unbelievable reason).

Sonic1
Sonic1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I'm new to this forum seeking advice on an ESA problem. I have been receiving ESA for some time and a month ago my fortnightly automatic payments stopped without warning. After calling the DWP an advisor said that my file had become to large for the computer system to cope with and this had stopped automatic BACS payments. They went on to say my file had to be removed from the system and manually re-entered which takes time.

Today is the 3rd payment day I have not received my benefit automatically. I am having to call them again today for them to manually run my payment into my bank account, which normally takes me all day to get sorted. Advisers have been sympathetic, assuring me this will eventually be sorted and auto BACS payments will resume, but I simply cannot handle the stress of having to go through these obstacles every 2 weeks to receive my benefit.

In summary;
17th Feb' 2020 (did not receive auto payment, will have to call for manual payment).
3rd Feb' 2020 (did not receive auto payment, had to call for manual payment)
20th Jan' 2020 (did not receive auto payment, had to call for manual payment).

I've tried searching all kinds of word connotations on Google of, "DWP auto BACS payments stopped because my computer file is too large" and cannot find a single other case online of this excuse being given to someone else. To say my mental health state is suffering because of this would be an understatement. Any help or advice on what is going on with my ESA payments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    HI and welcome,

Yes, i've heard of this happening before and the word they use for this is your claim has gone "clerical" which simply means that your file has been removed from the computer. Automatic BACS payments will not resume until your ESA has been built again onto the computer, which as you said could take some time.

I'm sorry this is causing so much stress. When you ring today i'd advise you to ask them if they have started to rebuild your claim and also ask if your payments to be set up clerically until your claim has been rebuilt.

Hopefully it will be sorted very soon. In the meantime they will of course make a same day payment for today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sonic1
    Hi Poppy, thank you very much for your swift and helpful reply. I'm on hold just now to get today's payment. The last time I called the advisor said they had put a note on file requesting manual payments till it was sorted, but it never went through.

Thanks again, I thought they were just trying to push me over the edge.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

The issue with a manual payment is that someone has to make that payment and because your payment day is today then payment wouldn't have been received by you at this time of the day, they don't open until 8am. You may have received it within the next few hours but of course you don't want to take that chance.

Hopefully you won't be on hold for too long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sonic1
    edited February 2020
    Hi again Poppy, call completed just there (after a speedy 41m 51s on the line).

Your terms for what has happened were absolutely spot on and this helped a lot when speaking with the advisor this morning. Apparently my payment was already "spooled" to be paid manually today. It just hasn't processed to my bank account yet. I think they say it will go in before midnight to be safe but from experience it's usually around 6pm.

The advisor was really helpful and said my file rebuild was in progress and was further along than usual cases.

Thanks again for your help and reassurance. You are indeed a champion !
  • poppy123456
    I'm glad to hear that my advice did help and that you will receive payment by the end of today. Hopefully, it will all be sorted by the time your next payment is due.

Thank you also for the very kind words! :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to say a very warm welcome to the community @Sonic1. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sonic1 I just wanted to welcome you to the community and pleased to see you have a resolution to your problem. Hopefully there will soon be a long term solution to save you the stress of having to do this every time  
  • Sonic1
    edited February 2020
    Thanks very much for the welcome messages everyone and help. I had Googled many benefit help forums and websites, including one that wanted me to pay £20 to post.

Luckily I found this site and it was the 1st and only one I posted on. My benefit turned up in my bank account at 11am, Just after that I received a call back from the advisor that helped to tell me it had been processed.

I didn't actually believe their reasons for not paying, so it was very reassuring finding out from Poppy that it is a genuine reason for benefits being stopped.

Ironically it was file additions from a small social fund loan I think that sent my file into meltdown.

Thanks again everyone. Fantastic website which I recommend to others who find themselves needing benefit help & advice.

Slight ninja edit: Apologies for calling yourselves "just a website". Being disabled I have heard of the charity SCOPE before. I just didn't realise the charity ran such a great site.

• Sonic1
    Just set up a small £5 monthly donation to SCOPE, which I was really happy to do :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sonic1, so glad you found us!! That is very kind of you and we appreciate that greatly! I hope you continue to enjoy your time on the community and feel free to get involved with any discussions that take your fancy. :)
    Scope

• Carrsy
    Carrsy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I believe the exact same has happened to me today. Been on phone all day to 4 advisors 2 of which were helpful I have extreme mental health and behaviour problems. So spending an hour to wait to speak to damn right rude people who then cut you off. Its 5.15pm and I still not been paid. Obviously computer system is not fit for purpose. And as a result I suffer.
  • poppy123456
    Carrsy said:
    I believe the exact same has happened to me today. Been on phone all day to 4 advisors 2 of which were helpful I have extreme mental health and behaviour problems. So spending an hour to wait to speak to damn right rude people who then cut you off. Its 5.15pm and I still not been paid. Obviously computer system is not fit for purpose. And as a result I suffer.

If you managed to speak to someone they can arrange a same day payment, which would mean your money should go in anytime before midnight but usually within a few hours.
    I've never personally had any issues when ringing the DWP call centre and have always found them friendly and helpful.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.