If I get turned down for PIP, could this affect my ESA claim? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I get turned down for PIP, could this affect my ESA claim?

Comments

• tibetanbells
    tibetanbells Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    edited February 2020
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. The timescales they tell you for ESA are nothing more than a guide, which is why ESA decision letters do not state award lengths on them. ESA Support Group is an ongoing award and this is why you were a year later in being assessed last time. Other than you can be reassessed anytime from 3 months, is all anyone can tell you.

Lots of people are successfully placed into a group without any problems but we rarely hear the good stories.

Not qualifying for PIP isn't going to have a bad affect on your ESA.

The link i posted isn't a guide to filling in the PIP form. It's the assessment guide that explains what the descriptors mean in more detail. It's very easy to think that you should score a certain amount of points but it may not be possibly to score as many as you think. Just like it maybe possible to score more points that you think. Have you read that link? If you haven't then i'd definitely recommend that you do.

Anyway, if you do decide to start a claim, good luck and if a decision doesn't go in your favour then you have the appeal route, starting with the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tibetanbells - I'm very sorry to read you're not reassured by Poppy. Now you're not too know, but Poppy has extensive knowledge of the benefit system, & this forum is lucky to have her expertise. She not only has this extensive knowledge about benefits, but personal knowledge too.
    The link she provided above is the best resource for someone going through the PIP system. Why, because it's the DWP's guide for health care professionals that usually conduct face to face assessments that the vast majority of PIP claimants will need to have. Understanding this lengthy link with it's 'descriptors' may help a person decide whether to apply for PIP, or help them make a successful claim.
    My personal experience; I applied for PIP & was awarded the standard rate for both, which I felt was inaccurate as far as the mobility component went, & I'd had a guide from my support group to help me. I went through the stress of a Mandatory Reconsideration, & was awarded the higher rate for mobility. This was all before I'd joined this forum. Now if I'd had the benefit of Poppy's advice, & a better understanding of the 'descriptors,' I might have been more successful in the first place. I was also somewhat lucky with my Mandatory Reconsideration as most are not; if then wanting to further an appeal to a Tribunal, the waiting for this can be a year, or more.
    So, I do urge you to read the PIP link that Poppy provided, & take onboard her advice.
  • tibetanbells
    Thanks for sharing your experience , Chiarieds. 

I was going to ask Poppy123456  if she could  tell me how she has gathered her general knowledge of these benefits , whether it is not only from personal experience as a claimant , or is she / was she in the past , employed by the DWP . 

I have seen that there is also a guide designed for helping people to claim  PIP available to the Benefits and Work site . 
  • poppy123456
    @tibetanbells the answer to your question is no, i have never and i will never work for DWP. Most DWP advisers have very little knowledge of the benefits system because all they do is read from a screen.

As my friend @chiarieds has correctly advised my knowledge is my own experience plus extensive research over several years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Benson
    Benson Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello!

I just had my PIP claim refused and now they also stopped my ESA. Why is this? I thought they was separate benefits?
  • poppy123456
    Benson said:
    Hello!

I just had my PIP claim refused and now they also stopped my ESA. Why is this? I thought they was separate benefits?

Hi and welcome,

Yes, they are different benefits, with different criteria and your PIP being refused won't stop your ESA completely.

Your ESA could have been suspended because of the PIP refusal which does often happen. It doesn't mean your ESA has completely stopped. ESA can't stop unless you've either been found fit for work or you were claiming Contributions based in the WRAG and then payments are only made for 365 days and then they stop.

If you live alone and were claiming the Severe disability premium in with your ESA then this is the likely cause for the ESA being suspended. Have you rang DWP regarding your ESA?

For your PIP refusal then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR which should be put into writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
  • Benson
    I only found out no ESA was put into my account last night when the phone line was closed. 

My ESA is for depression and anxiety and that is all on my doctors records, i applied for PIP due to an ongoing shoulder injury.

Why would they stop my ESA if its for a different reason i applied for PIP?

I have suicidal tendencies and bad anxiety and now they have stopped my ESA its making me worse.

• poppy123456
    As i advised, it's most likely been suspended because of the PIP refusal. Other than that if you haven't missed a work capability assessment recently or you weren't in the WRAG claiming Contributions based then there's no reasons why your ESA should have stopped.

Unfortunately, we could only guess the reasons why and you'll need to wait until Monday morning to ring them and ask. If it's an error then you can ask for a same day payment and you'll receive your money in the bank before the end of the day.
  • tibetanbells
    As i advised, it's most likely been suspended because of the PIP refusal.
    So , there is a possibility of ESA being stopped or affected by new PIP claims . 
    Which means that the DWP are using PIP claims to influence ESA decisions.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    So , there is a possibility of ESA being stopped or affected by new PIP claims . 

No, that's not what i advised at all. If you read what i said then a PIP refusal can temporary suspend an ESA claim. PIP and ESA are different benefits with totally different criteria and one doesn't affect the other, in a bad way, as advised.

There could be many different reasons why the ESA payment hasn't been made to Benson and we could only guess the reasons why.
  • tibetanbells
    edited February 2020

No, that's not what i advised at all. If you read what i said then a PIP refusal can temporary suspend an ESA claim. PIP and ESA are different benefits with totally different criteria and one doesn't affect the other, in a bad way, as advised. 

Even if a ESA claim is suspended temporarily, this can have serious consequences for people’s lives .  So , we cannot really say that PIP claims cannot affect ESA claims in a negative way, ( unless we are certain that Benson’s claim for ESA was suspended for a different reason. ).
  • poppy123456
    Sorry but you are twisting it all out of proportion. You can NOT be found fit for work without a face to face assessment, unless you either failed to attend or failed to return the work capability assessment and that's a fact.
  • poppy123456
    @scotleag thank you for that, much appreciated. Just so you know, i'm a she :)
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    You won't find anyone better than @poppy123456 to give you good advice and has helped me a lot in understanding the benefit system. 
  • tibetanbells
    edited February 2020
    Sorry but you are twisting it all out of proportion. You can NOT be found fit for work without a face to face assessment, unless you either failed to attend or failed to return the work capability assessment and that's a fact.
    I am twisting anything out of proportion , thankyou very much . If what Benson has written is true then it means that claims for ESA can be negatively impacted by having PIP claims refused.
  • poppy123456
    I've given all the advice that i can give here and i won't get into a disagreement any further with you. I'll make no further comments here. Enjoy the rest of your day. :)
  • Benson
    edited February 2020
    My ESA was not paid into account on Thursday and my letter refusing PIP came on friday. 

I'm in alot of stress and depression right now as im left with no money until i can find out on monday. 

It doesn't make sense they would stop my ESA for mental health when my PIP claim was for a shoulder injury.
  • poppy123456
    Benson said:
    My ESA was not paid into account on Thursday and my letter refusing PIP came on friday. 

I'm in alot of stress and depression right now as im left with no money until i can find out on monday. 

It doesn't make sense they would stop my ESA for mental health when my PIP claim was for a shoulder injury.

May i ask if you were transferring from DLA or whether this PIP claim was review of an existing PIP claim?

Is there also any reason why you didn't put down all of your conditions for your PIP claim? PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
  • Benson
    Benson said:

May i ask if you were transferring from DLA or whether this PIP claim was review of an existing PIP claim?

Is there also any reason why you didn't put down all of your conditions for your PIP claim? PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    I have been on ESA for a while, also i have an ongoing shoulder injury which prevents me from doing alot of things so i thought PIP could help with that.

I didnt think i needed to discuss my mental heath at PIP as i was getting ESA for that. I did say at the assessment this is just for my shoulder issue.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.