Work allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work allowance

Eva111
Eva111 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi.I have limited capability for work and work related activities. I have noticed recently I have 287 working allowance instead of 503(Because I dont have any housing support).I live in share room with friend,I dont have any contract,I am sub tenant.The lady from DWP wrote to me:
Good morning Ewa
Your work allowance is £287 as you are in supported accommodation that you claim housing benefit from
your local council for.
Many thanks
But IT is not true.How can I sort IT out.I have some part time job and 287 working allowance is so low,Thank for the answer.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Are you saying to don't claim for help with any rent?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Eva111
    Yes that is right. 
  • poppy123456
    If you're not receiving housing benefit then you'll need to ring UC to speak to your case manager and tell them that you don't receive housing benefit and you should be receiving the higher work allowance.

May i ask how you pay your rent if you don't claim for help with this? Is the person you're sharing a room with your partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Eva111
    I am sub tenant.I pay by cash person who rent the house from the landlord.I share the room with roomate,we pay half. We dont have any contract, agreement.
  • poppy123456
    Speak to your case manager as advised.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Eva111 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I see that you have been given excellent advice above by @poppy123456 and I hope you manage to get this all sorted out.  Please let us know how you get on anyway.  If there is anything we can to to help/support you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Eva111 - I just wanted to welcome you to the community. I'm pleased to see Poppy has answered your query, & I hope you're able to get this quickly sorted. :)
  • Eva111
    I have received this today...i dont understand IT at all.I dont want housing element.
    I want to Higher my work allowance

Good afternoon Ewa
    Unless you have a tenancy agreement we cannot consider paying housing element for you
    Many thanks
  • poppy123456
    Then you'll need to explain to them that because you're not claiming for any housing element then you should be receiving the higher work allowance, which is £503 per month. This will mean that you can earn this much money before the 63% deductions will apply.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hello @Eva111. Have you made any progress getting your work allowance sorted?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Eva111
    I have changed information about my living cost in my UC account,and I am waiting for the confirmmation.I will let you know.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.