Help unsuitable powerchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help unsuitable powerchair

Options
Just_Julie
Just_Julie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone. 
I am a carer for a disabled gentleman who uses a powered wheelchair.
His wheelchair broke and had to go in for repair. When in for repair the chair was damaged and then couldn't be repaired.
He was loaned a chair while a replacement was sourced.
The loan chair was too small and he had to hold the chair between his legs to brace himself putting his hand and wrist under strain.
 He complained many times and even had company heads out to see him who stated that he looked uncomfortable in the chair.
His wrist started hurting and he was diagnosed with carple tunnel syndrome.
This went on for 8 months.
He eventually had to have an operation to ease this syndrome.
He eventually received his new chair.
He had no wrist problems prior to receiving the loan chair.

Where does he stand regarding a claim against the service for the resulting inconvenience,suffering and injury.
He also had the extra expense of more hours from his carer as he was unable to drive.
The hours help was needed increased as he was unable to continue as he had previously.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Just_Julie and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear about this, Did you complain at the time? Here is the NHS complaints procedure which will allow you to escalate your concerns. Please do let  us know how you get on and if there is anything we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Just_Julie I am so sorry to hear this, have you contacted the company to ask them about their complaints procedure and sent a detailed complaint estimating extra cost their neglect has encountered. There are also companies out there that deal with medical negligence cases I don't know how good they are or if this would b e considered as that. Another alternative would be citizens advice or welfare rights. I hope you get somewhere with this please keep us updated

Brightness