Reporting hate crime — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reporting hate crime

pupnut
pupnut Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I'm seeking advice/conversation on reporting a hate crime.
In the last 6 months I have had to report 2 such incidents. On both occasions I have been asked ' Do you consider this a hate crime' 
I find this approach has been problematic in that I'm expected to say with certainty what the person's motives were.
In the second incident the officer asked, did I think these teenagers would of behaved in the same way toward a group of non disabled women exercising. How can I possibly know what someone else is thinking.
All I can say with certainty is that in both incidents it was clear to the perpitraitors that I am disabled. That they were committing the offence toward a disabled person.
With this in mind should I of been more insistent that they be recorded as hate crimes?
I was also told that unless I'm on medication for my mental health then I cannot claim that this type of incident is affecting my mental health and wellbeing.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @pupnut and I'm really sorry to hear that you've experienced this. I've found this information on Scope which may be of use to you, recognising and reporting disability hate crime - if you need any further help then please let us know :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    HI AGAIN @pupnut I am sorry to hear about the incidents you have experienced and I hope the link you have been provided is of some help . Is it the same people involved in both incidents ? If they are teenagers it may be worth discussing this with their school and they can educate the whole school on this topic.
  • pupnut
    pupnut Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Ami and Jane, Thank you for the advice. I will look at the info, Thank you @Ami2301
    The first incident was done to my WAV so can't be sure who did that. I have considered going to the school. I'm hoping the Community support police will do this. I'll see what happens. Thank you @janer1967

Brightness