Reporting hate crime — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reporting hate crime

pupnut
pupnut Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I'm seeking advice/conversation on reporting a hate crime.
In the last 6 months I have had to report 2 such incidents. On both occasions I have been asked ' Do you consider this a hate crime' 
I find this approach has been problematic in that I'm expected to say with certainty what the person's motives were.
In the second incident the officer asked, did I think these teenagers would of behaved in the same way toward a group of non disabled women exercising. How can I possibly know what someone else is thinking.
All I can say with certainty is that in both incidents it was clear to the perpitraitors that I am disabled. That they were committing the offence toward a disabled person.
With this in mind should I of been more insistent that they be recorded as hate crimes?
I was also told that unless I'm on medication for my mental health then I cannot claim that this type of incident is affecting my mental health and wellbeing.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @pupnut and I'm really sorry to hear that you've experienced this. I've found this information on Scope which may be of use to you, recognising and reporting disability hate crime - if you need any further help then please let us know :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    HI AGAIN @pupnut I am sorry to hear about the incidents you have experienced and I hope the link you have been provided is of some help . Is it the same people involved in both incidents ? If they are teenagers it may be worth discussing this with their school and they can educate the whole school on this topic.
  • pupnut
    pupnut Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Ami and Jane, Thank you for the advice. I will look at the info, Thank you @Ami2301
    The first incident was done to my WAV so can't be sure who did that. I have considered going to the school. I'm hoping the Community support police will do this. I'll see what happens. Thank you @janer1967

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.