CA and partner's earnings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CA and partner's earnings

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hello!

My Mum is trying to claim Carer's Allowance for me but is a little confused by the income limit. would the £123 a week just look at her income or her husband's too?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,347 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

This will be her earnings and not her husbands. Providing she doesn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions she'll be entitled to the Carers allowance, if she doesn't claim state pension.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @poppy123456

We were about to start the process and saw it needed her husband's National Insurance number. The more we look, the more complicated it seems to get.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,520 Disability Gamechanger
    CA is one of the more straightforward benefits, provide 35 or more hours of care, to someone getting mid rate DLA care or PIP care, and earn less than £123 a week after most deductions and thats it, although it does seem to take around 12 for them to sort it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Jurph
    Her circumstances complicate it a little because of a small private pension and a final payment after a long term illness. 
  • poppy123456
    I agree it's a very simple claim. The reason it asks for a partner NI number is because Carers allowance is a taxable benefit.

Her private pension is not classed as income for carers allowance. The final payment from working, will be classed as earnings and if this is more than £123 per week after deductions then she won't be entitled to CA for those weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @poppy123456

I'm not clued up on taxes. I'm unsure how this would effect payment.
  • poppy123456
    Whether or not it affects it will depend on her earnings from April 2019.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jurph. How is your mum getting on with the claim for Carer's allowance?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jurph
    We did it yesterday @Adrian_Scope. We certainly didn't find it simple! I think we managed ok. Time will tell. Thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That should be the hard work done at least. Hopefully they won't keep her waiting too long for a decision @Jurph
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.