PIP Assessment Home Appointment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment Home Appointment

Options
Jaxter
Jaxter Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie - I read the forum previously lurking in the shadows. I attended an assessment at 8:30am this morning - despite desperately trying to get a home appointment as my mental health conditions have left me all but housebound. A home visit was requested when the PIP renewal was sent,.my housemate who is forced to act as my carer completed the form on my behalf as I cannot concentrate and often misinterpret questions. Thus when I received an appointment to attend a centre for this assessment, I telephoned immediately and asked that they reconsider forcing me out of my comfort zone and provide a home assessment as they had done three years earlier. The appointment was cancelled whilst they 'reconsidered this'. I then got another appointment for assessment through, again asking me to attend the centre with no reference of my request for a home visit being declined. Once again, and greatly distressed I telephoned and spoke to someone on 13th Feb at approx 13:00 asking that I get a home visit, as the new letter/Appointment from Independent Assessment Services had no mention of it. The appointment was once again cancelled whilst they 'reviewed' the request. So imagine my shock and surprise when a letter came through dated 13th Feb stating that their 'Health Care expert' had reviewed and declined a home visit. That I would be required to attend the assessment at their offices.
I was up most of last night, getting only a couple of hours. Worse I would have to take a park and ride bus into the city to get to the early appointment on time!
At the assessment I was beyond stressed and anxious and found communicating extremely hard so my housemate answered 98% of the questions. When she mentioned the home visit had been declined the 'nurse' carrying out the assessment replied, 'Oh we don't do home visits.' So why is it offered by the DWP if there is zero intention of actually providing this service for people who find leaving the safety of the four walls that surround them? I have agoraphobia, I have only left my house 3 times in the past 12 months it is always stressful and painful due to the tension in my body. One of those times was for an ESA assessment in June of last year. I was placed in the support group. Which is the first time my housemate/carer has not had to contest the outcome of an assessment. Why was the assessment for ESA not suitable for PIP given it is for the same illnesses. Why are there two different assessment locations? What it must cost the DWP I do not know. I do know the cost to my well being is high. I am very, very stressed right now and angry.

I will update the outcome of the assessment. Please forgive me if this post reads like a rant or makes little sense in places. I have terrible trouble focusing for too long and for someone that can touch type it has taken me far too long to write.

Best wishes and good luck to all those facing this nightmare.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry this has caused you so much stress. Home assessments are possible but if you attend other appointments then your request for a home assessment could be refused because you attend other appointments.

The reason why work capability assessments and PIP assessments are at different locations is because they are 2 completely different benefits, with different criteria and they are done by totally different assessment providers. The Health assessment advisory service do the work capability assessments (ESA) they do not do the PIP assessments. For PIP it's either capita or Independent assessment services, depending on where in the country you are located.

The reason your ESA assessment was not suitable for your PIP assessment is because they are different benefits, with totally different criteria. The work capability assessment is about your ability to do any type of work. PIP is about how your disability affects your daily life and is not about not being able to work.

For your PIP assessment, wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jaxter - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining.I'm sorry you didn't get a home assessment, & that it has caused so much upset. At least it's now over, & I hope you manage to relax somewhat. I see Poppy has advised you, & let us know when you get your assessment report.
    Please do also chat here any time as there's usually someone about. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Jaxter Hello and welcome, I am sorry to hear about your ordeal it must be really stressful for you. I can confirm home assessments are available as I have had one myself being housebound due to physical condition, however I did have a long fight to get a home visit.

I had to send of doctor and OH letter to say I was unable to leave the house unless carried out.

Like the others have said at least it is over and you now just have the wait for the outcome, keep us informed 
  • Jaxter
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    @Jaxter Hello and welcome, I am sorry to hear about your ordeal it must be really stressful for you. I can confirm home assessments are available as I have had one myself being housebound due to physical condition, however I did have a long fight to get a home visit
    Hi janer 1967
    Thank you. Frustrating as I got a home visit when I switched from DLA to PIP 3 years ago. But for the nurse to say, we don’t do home visits was bewildering. As was the ‘reconsideration’ that apparently took no time at all because it sent the same day I asked for home visit. ESA has never done home visits but it was easier in as much as it’s 15 minutes from my home and my housemate drove me there and answered 100% of the questions as I really struggled.
    I am so pleased you were given a home visit. It really is ridiculous if you cannot get out due to a physical condition for them to force you out!
    I will update as soon as I hear anything. Hope your claim was awarded.

Jaxter.
  • Jaxter
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Jaxter - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining.I'm sorry you didn't get a home assessment, & that it has caused so much upset. At least it's now over, & I hope you manage to relax somewhat. I see Poppy has advised you, & let us know when you get your assessment report.
    Please do also chat here any time as there's usually someone about. :)
    Hello Chiarieds
    Thank you. It is difficult to deal with leaving the house. I feel safe and secure here. Appreciate the support.
    Jaxter
  • Jaxter
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry this has caused you so much stress. Home assessments are possible but if you attend other appointments then your request for a home assessment could be refused because you attend other appointments.

The reason why work capability assessments and PIP assessments are at different locations is because they are 2 completely different benefits, with different criteria and they are done by totally different assessment providers. The Health assessment advisory service do the work capability assessments (ESA) they do not do the PIP assessments. For PIP it's either capita or Independent assessment services, depending on where in the country you are located.

The reason your ESA assessment was not suitable for your PIP assessment is because they are different benefits, with totally different criteria. The work capability assessment is about your ability to do any type of work. PIP is about how your disability affects your daily life and is not about not being able to work.

For your PIP assessment, wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    Hi Poppy123456

Thank you for this information. I am just frustrated and stressed at having to get on a bus and deal with the sensory overload and people. The ESA was carried out at a much closer location 10 minutes away so although stressful, less so as the car is quiet and secure. (My housemate drives me there) I am grateful for your welcome.
    I will update when I have any information.

Jaxter
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Jaxter   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing, sorry what you went through your assessment.

I am one of the team of Community Champions, we guide, advise and help members.

Please can I suggest if you having problems with interaction social due to mental health.

Understand the problems you could apply for support. Use a mental health charity.

If this situation arises again you have some support some one to speak on your behalf. Fill out forms and give you advice on wellbeing, health and benefits.

I used these three.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Every time a clientele I had attendance and support, often with any benefits forms thy know what to put in it.

Including a report how you are and coping day to day.

You can apply on website or speak to your GP.

Might not be in all areas.

I am aware days are difficult and please if I can help or be supportive please ask.

Offer compassion and empathy sensitivity.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Jaxter
    Options
    Hello @thespiceman

Thank you for your very kind words and support. My housemate has been a very good advocate. She has been so supportive and generous with her time. 
    My cats are also a great comfort. Thank you for the links too. I will be sure and bookmark them.

Very tired now. The whole experience has been exhausting.

best wishes

Jaxter 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad you have cats for comfort, they are certainly good for this. I have a cat myself and he's so adorable! Huge part of mine and my daughters life.. infact he's the boss :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jaxter and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm so sorry to hear you have gone through the ordeal of having to go to a centre for your assessment, but very well done in coping with it all.  I can appreciate that it must have been really stressful for you and hope you are managing to relax now and enjoy your evening.  Your housemate sounds very supportive which is lovely.  You have been given very good information and links above so I hope you have found them helpful.  Great to meet another cat lover!  Like Poppy, I too have a cat and know the benefits they can bring, like all pets, to us all.  

I wish you well with your claim and please let us know how you get on.  Please feel free to chat to us anytime as we are all here to support you and everyone is very friendly on here.  If there is anything at all we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness