pip assessment done — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip assessment done

Options
cici2016
cici2016 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi posting on behalf of my husband. He has severe dyspraxia and is undergoing adult learning to try and figure out what else he has going on. Doctor did agree he thinks there’s more to it. His mum was told he may have autism and was recommended to get him tested as a child but she didn’t want him being labelled. He failed most of his classes at school (despite having a very involved learning support team with overlays, a typewriter, spellchecker, extra time and a support teacher to explain questions to him). He was in speech and language therapy until he was 15 and only left that because he left school hoping college would be better (it wasn’t it was worse).
so he had his assessment Tuesday. I think it went okay the girl was nice. He was honest. Me and his mum were there to provide more clarity or detail if needed and to support him through it. 
The assessment itself was cancelled 5 times before it finally happened and it’s been since August when he applied for help.
when we do the pip assessment online and are being honest he scored over 23 points for daily living (more if he would admit to certain problems he has but won’t because of embarrassment) and then when I’m being extremely picky and well technically you can if we do this this or that (which isn’t logical I can’t be there allll day every day) then he is still scoring at least 18. 
I have some concerns tho. So he failed maths it has held him back from job as he can’t count change/do basic maths/stick to a budget etc. So at the assessment they asked him to do 1 pound take away 25p. He genuinely would not be able to mentally do this sum. He got a bit upset and just said incant
do maths. She asked him to try but he said there’s no point I can’t do it. Which is when I stepped in and explained he recently got laughed out of an interview because he failed the very basic math questions like this so it’s still a sore subject for him. I explained when he goes to the shop he doesn’t count change he hands all his money to the cashier to count it or pays contactless to avoid the stress of remembering his pin as well if there’s a line. She nodded and wrote on her laptop. I’m just worried this has went against him because he technically refused to do it? 
The other question was spell the word world which he couldn’t do mentally but when asked to write it it took him a while but he did eventually get it. She then asked him to close his eyes and spell it backwards which he couldn’t do. He tried to peak to cheat but told him to stop tryin to cheat (at that point he was really embarrassed because it is embarrassing for him). 
I was surprised that she actually asked stuff that we didn’t even think to put down. She asked if he could use a fork and knife. (He can’t he uses his fork to cut and if it’s something too hard I cut it or everything gets spilt of his plate) and she said no we need to mention that as it’s one of the markers. 
I have requested a copy of the report to be sent but reading some of these are making me nervous. 
My main question is will him not answering the maths go against him. 
His self esteem has been on the floor lately with it all he’s been to twenty interviews one he had to read a basic script for a phone call. He was only given 5 minutes to prepare and he was laughed at as he tried to spell out the basic words. Another one he was laughed at when they were doing basic change menta maths as he was way off on every question. He does work but he has been wanting something less physica as his back is getting pretty sore the older he gets but he doesn’t have good communication or maths etc and it goes against him. 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I feel for you as I had my PPIP assessment recently and it was a home based one, but was cancelled at really short notice twice. You get so anxious and worked up, then when it is cancelled, you have to go through it all again. I know these cancellations happen quite often.

I decided not to ask for my report before the decision as if there had been low points, I know it would have made my anxiety worse. Besides, it is possible but rare, that a DM..Decision maker....can go against what an assessor has written...so points can be lost or gained.

I got the results in the post 3 weeks after the assessment. I got the full award on both parts, but there were 2 activities where the assessor put false answers to. I didn't need to contest it, as I had got the points I needed.

I know that if an assessor asks anyone to perform a certain activity and you cant physically do it, due to pain or inability, then we can say no. Mine asked me to circle my ankles and raise my knees. I am paraplegic! So I gave a straight no to those!

Likewise your hubby has a serious difficulty with words and numbers, so he couldn't do the tasks. I doubt this will go against him. It certainly shouldn't.

The waiting time is very difficult I know.

I hope your OH gets the points he should.

Best wishes Pollsx
  • cici2016
    cici2016 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    Aw I typed out a reply and it hasn’t seemed to posted. 
    Thank you for your response.
    yes it was really hard on him them constantly cancelling or just not showing up. 
    I’m hoping it went well and he gets what’s deserved I don’t think he has itin him to fight for am appeal after all of this. 
    The questions about travel I said o the form he could travel and folllow a route but only in the sense he has a sat nav. But she asked about public transport which is totally different the can’t do that alone because he struggle to read the signs especially coz they dont give very long to read them so I tend to go with him if we need the train or that soo I can read the signs.
    she noted that too and said that’s relevant. That’s gave me a bit of hope it wasn’t like she seemed to be trying to disprove anything and she seemed knowledgeable about dyspraxia as she asked about if he struggled to do those two things and asked us to explain more when I said not really I mean he can’t use a fork and knife but he can still eat because he uses his fork side as a knife or I cut it if it’s steak etc. Same with the journey one we said initially he can follow journeys easy with sat Navs but she questioned what about signs at the train station or if he needed to make a route without a satnav which he wouldn’t be able to do. 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cic2016 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I don't have much to add, just wanted to welcome you.  So sorry to hear of everything your husband has went through, but it sounds as though you have been given great advice and information by @pollyanna1052, so I hope this has helped you.  I hope everything works out well for you and your husband.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.