Pip assessment paper — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment paper

janjan67
janjan67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi my daughter's assessment report has come and it states 14 points for daily living and 12 points mobility. Does this mean she will get higher rate for both components?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @janjan67, hello and welcome, you've read it correctly you can relax now and wait for the official notification letter from the DWP. If you are thinking of getting a mobility car you could start looking online what's the procedure is upfront costs ect. Well done. 
  • janjan67
     Thank you very much for your reassuring words.  We are thinking of getting a mobility car but don't want to plan just yet in case the case manager for some reason goes against the assessor report.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's very rare they go against the report but of course you'll need to wait for the decision. Once it's made, if you decide to exchange the mobility part for a motability vehicle then you'll need to visit a dealer of your choice and take the PIP award letter with you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janjan67
    Thank you Poppy. I will have to see also because I would need to use the car for work too not just commuting to and from work as I travel within the community daily.I have read you can apply for business usage on the insurance but we shall see.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    You will need to speak to motability for that because it's your daughter's PIP claim and not yours and the car is meant to be used for her purpose. Although i have heard that a parent working does benefit a young person, although business insurance, icould be different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @janjan67 - I agree with Poppy - a Motability vehicle is for your daughter's benefit not yours - although I believe that you can go to the shop etc in it.

Best to check with Motability - will you post back what the result is please?  I'm sure others would find the outcome very interesting.

Good luck...
  • janjan67
    Yes sure. I am aware it is for the benefit of my daughte r. I take my daughter to all her hospital appointments etc as she does not drive herself. The idea was if able to was my daughter was going to be a provisional licence on the said car,would have driving lessons and get an automatic car as otherwise she would not manage. It would be for my daughter's use when she able for short trips (her words) as she suffers as among other things chronic fatigue and sleeps 15 hrs plus a day. I would use it for shopping and besides work not much else really. I have read you can apply for b business mileage as long as not taxi driver of delivery person. I would reimburse my daughter part cost of money she get deducted for the car,probably amount I would pay on finance monthly. Can't see point having two cars.
  • janjan67
    Not had decision yet and might decide not to go ahead even if allowed to use for work. End of day surely me working is a benefit to my daughter too.
  • poppy123456
    The only ones that can answer that will be motability their self and you will need to ring them and ask them. Using the car for business use is possible for the person claiming the PIP award but not sure about the named driver, even if you do pay your daughter for the use of the car.
  • cristobal
    @janjan67 - you will need to check....

I believe it's the car that has to be for the benefit of your daughter, otherwise it could easily become just a family car.

Please let us know the result - would be interested to know the answer...
  • cristobal
    @janjan67 ...did you see this post by topkitten? I've copy/pasted is as I'm not sure how to link...

Motability rules regarding drivers is as follows. The main driver and an alternate driver can be stated with no additional cost. Adding a third specific driver does have a cost though I am unsure of the actual figure. In addition it is possible to add up to 6 temporary drivers at no additional cost for periods of 30 days or less (I think, not certain about the 30 days but it is specified in the insurance documents), so that people like carers can drive the person about if necessary. ALL drivers permanent and temporary must have a level of driving experience and an age appropriate to the class of vehicle being insured. For larger vehicles such as MPV's or with an HP rating above a certain number then drivers must be 25 or over and have 4 or 5 years driving experience and preferably have a clean-ish licence.

The first criteria defining "for the benefit of" is that (like Blue Badges) the car owner is actually in the car. The second criteria is that it can be used without the owner to do such things as shopping runs but it must only begin and end at the owners property. What is not allowed is for a driver to use it for ANYTHING that is of benefit to themselves unless no deviation from the 2 previous points occurs. So getting shopping, for example, for the driver if the same shops are used for the owner is permissible. Going to half-a-dozen shops of which only one is needed for the owner is not permissible. It is absolutely NOT permissible for the driver to use a Motbaility vehicle for ANY work related purposes.
  • janjan67
    Interesting how I'm reading conflicting informatio n. I got mine off the motability site,but as Poppy has said it could be for the person claiming Pip that can use for work. Thank you for all your replys,it is very much appreciated and helpful to have other people's perspective on things.
  • janjan67
    Rang Motability,they seemed think no problem but to ring their insurance to make sure. I explained everything,my occupation,how I will be named driver,that daughter lives with me and I am her carer. They have confirmed that it is fine to do,daughter benefiting from me working paying bills etc.  End of day most of my annual leave is saved up for daughter's hospital appointments,anywhere she needs to go,which is not very often I take her. So yes motability are fine with it.
  • cristobal
    @janjan67 - very interesting answer ...thanks for returning to update everyone....
  • poppy123456
    I had a feeling they would be ok with it because i'd heard they do allow it,  wasn't sure about business insurance though. It does depend on the each individual person though. Thanks for coming back to tell us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.