Looking for a local benefits advisor help for pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a local benefits advisor help for pip appeal

tom2552
tom2552 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I completed my pip form originally with the help of my mental health care worker then I had a home assessment and then was given 0 points. I have completed the mandatory reconsideration with my care worker. I have chronic tinnitus, hypercusis,Ganxietydisorder,depression and am currently in the process of being diagnosed ASD after my psychiatrist and OT therapist recommended I do that

I feel like they are ignoring evrything I say about my health conditions , the assessor that came to my home they didnt listen to anything I said now I'm reading the report it's completely different t to what I said to her 

I have been to citizens advice but the person i saw was not understanding or helpful can anyone advise me where I can find a experienced benefits advisor who can help me with my appeal and also come with me to the appeal? I have no one else who will go with me. I live in Telford but am willing to go further if there is somewhere outside of Telford if I can get some help with this 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

For the Tribunal you should state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Concentrating on the lies/contradictions will not get you a PIP award and it could weaken your case.

This link will tell you what's local to you, if you put your postcode into it.
    https://advicelocal.uk/ Start with either a law centre or welfare rights.

With representation they will present your case but do be aware you will still have to speak for yourself during the hearing. Waiting times are also huge in most areas and lots are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tom2552
    edited March 2020
    I have tried that link all it does is link to citizens advice I'm trying to find benefits advisors there was one called A4U where I used to live but they are not open anymore I really need help I can't do this on my own anhmore 
  • poppy123456
    If that link tells you all there is in your area is CAB then there won't be anything else local to you. I'm unsure if an advice agency will help if they are not local to you.

This link will give you some advice on what you need to do to request the Tribunal and what to do to prepare for it.
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal I'm not sure how useful that will be to you but it's start.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tom2552
    If anyone does know of a good benefits advisor service in the Shropshire/Telford area pls let me know 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hello @tom2552   Pleased to meet you .

Sorry to hear you got zero points. 

I am one of the Community Champions on the forum.  

Understand everything have knowledge, expertise on mental health. Advise members on all issues.

I have mental health my self, anxiety and depression.

Please if I can advise and suggest this you should be talking to your mental health worker.

Should be supporting and advising you be involved in helping you here with this appeal and any benefit problems.

Mental health worker and support workers the role comprises the following.

1.  Filling in forms and attendance of any assessments, tribunals . Will be able to speak on your behalf, assessments.

Tribunals in person but will only speak if they are asked to. Moral support and be there.

Last tribunal was a long time ago but still had mental health support.

You might have to pay their mileage costs, including car parking.

They are also worth speaking to for signposting to relevant organisations welfare and anything else benefit.

2.  Will with every form send reports. Visit with you every time you have an appointment. Doctors, medical professionals often there but can speak on your behalf.

Again you might have to pay costs. In recent times signed up to charities paid costs, not a lot.

3.  Other aspects of the role include your care plans, reviews making sure that anything you have problems with . Be discussing with you ways to cope and deal with your issues.

4.  Whether that is Social or involvement in support groups, outings , hobbies, interests. Make aware of any possible difficulties in dealing with certain situations.

5.  Aware of the complaint procedures and anything you are not sure about.  

Including medications, housing and any thing that may effect your health. Would sign post offer in house advisors.

Most mental health support workers do offer and should be assisting in promoting healthy lifestyles, diet, nutrition and looking at way to cope and deal with difficulties that you may have.

6.  Addiction, drug problems disability or other conditions, illness that need help, referral or advice, guidance with.

To either charities, organisations and associations.

7.  Using the methods, strategies. Implemented to help you cope with any problems when discharged .  Discuss options the next steps and any thing they can help you cope, might involve another charity or mental health support very much with your interests at heart. 

If there not doing all of that you entitled to find other avenues of support.

I mentioned mental health charities used these three .

The first one did all of the above in a three year contract.

Richmond Fellowship.

I am sorry might not be in all areas. You can apply self refer or speak to your GP.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    @Username_removed another reason it sounded like appeal stage because tom stated that he had no one to go with him for the "appeal" and you wouldn't have someone go with you for the MR. Sorry for the confusion here.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.