Frustrated with chronic pain and Fibro — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Frustrated with chronic pain and Fibro

tk66
tk66 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi found out I've got fnd with chronic pain  so frustrating for years I've suffered  I also have fibromyalgia  and depression  I'm finding it hard at the moment  as for past months  leg and arm problems feeling weak cant stand ir walk far whole body hurts  went to doctors and asked for painkillers  but she said they wont help  how you any of you cope with fnd  I feel so tired  and low  and frustrated cant do simple things anymore like using a brush opening things day to day tasks xx

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tk66 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment.  There are some of our members who have fibromyalgia so you are not alone.  We are here to support you  on the Community so please chat to us anytime as there will always be someone here to listen.  I can appreciate how tough things must be for you when you feel tired and in pain.  Have you thought about asking for some help from an Occupational Therapist who could visit and see if there would be any equipment which could be provided to help you in daily life?  You will find their telephone number under your local council.  

I find it helpful to do household tasks one at a time and just to take my time with things if I am in pain.  Cleaning one room one day at a time is the way I find coping when in pain.  I know it can be frustrating at not being able to do simple tasks, but it is good to realise that we can only do so much to our ability when feeling not so good and it is ok to take frequent rests if we have to.  Do you receive any support for your depression?  Maybe it would be a good idea to speak to your GP about this if you haven't done so already.  Meantime, I will tag in my friend, @thespiceman, who has excellent knowledge and expertise of mental health issues to see if he can advise anything to help you.

Hi @thespiceman could you please advise this member with some help/support?  Many thanks @Ails:smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hello @tk66   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for mentioning me @Ails   .

I am one of the team of Community Champions.

I advise members of mental health and anything related or connected.

I have mental health issues my self.

I am going to give some links to organisations to help you including several ones connected with your conditions and mental illness.

I would suggest you contact these they offer floating support, welfare health.

Benefit advice and guidance.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.

Might not be in all areas.  You can self refer or speak to your GP.

Fibromyalgia

https://www.fmauk.org.

Please if I make a suggest my friend @Ails has given some advice they are things you can do.

Regarding depression and your condition Fibromyalgia if you have not done so already.

I have knowledge, qualifications surrounding diet and well being and nutrition.

Please if I can add some relevant points which may be useful and help you cope a little better.

For easy reading I will bullet these clearly.

I would always seek advice from your Doctor and consult a nutritionist .

1. Avoid Caffeine, in Coffee Tea, Cola, Chocolate . Alcohol do not take causes more of the symptoms to be worse if consuming a lot.

When we get depressed reaching for Caffeine makes the symptoms worse because its a stimulant.

Alcohol find cause the symptoms to be worse and can lead to addiction, I had this myself.

If you think you are consuming alcohol please contact me or seek help can advise, support on that issue.

I would also avoid Sugar in Cakes, Biscuits, Sweets as they do the same cause symptoms to worsen.

2.  Lean Meat, Fruit and Vegetables.  Whole grains, pulses, beans and Pasta, Rice.

I would also with any Fibromyalgia do an exclusion diary any foods set off symptoms of the condition cause problems.

Can be related to other conditions such as IBS or allergies.

If you have those.

Always worth talking to the Community Health Unit your local Country Council to do a review. Offer a well being service one to one free.

Looking at diet, fitness especially useful if you have food intolerances or allergies due to the condition if you have them.

3.  Foods that give the energy a boost and can be useful include. 

Porridge Oats use with fruit like Bananas or Apples or Pears microwaved with milk and water..

Cornflakes with Milk and great energy boost I add defrosted Berries you can buy frozen, lot healthy and great in Cereals both Porridge and Cornflakes.

Top with Yoghurt , Cinnamon or Honey great energy boosts.

Whole meal Bread as a snack or a light bite used this if no allergies Peanut Butter.

Pasta always and use this with simple vegetables like Peas, Beans or Spinach all useful boosts for energy.

Use Tagliatelle jar of good quality pasta sauce these are good for simple meals and simple energy.

Any Pasta use as long it is Whole grain or Wheat lots of different shapes I buy, easy to cook and could use microwave.

I also mention be worth to do small light bites and meals  to help your energy levels never heavy or complicated.

Recipes have lots on here and use a Slow Cooker.  Please have a look around happy to share.

Slow Cookers are great because means you can do a meal limited preparation.

All Supermarkets sell pre- diced vegetables fresh frozen  to use..

All Supermarkets also sell lots of products meat, sauces, stocks and anything else for the Slow Cooker.

Including seen these packet sauces made up with boiling water sachets of herbs, spices add to any cubed or diced meat and vegetables.

Add to a Slow Cooker switch it on and four to six hours got a meal.

Can even do Porridge over night oats many meals I make use Slow Cooker.

Drink plenty of water .

I hope this helps.  Please if I can help any further any questions.

Please ask happy to help be supportive, offer compassion.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, I wont give any more advice as I see you have a lot to look through from the others.

I just wanted to say hello and hope the information gives you some ideas for pain relief/

Have a good look round the site and I am sure other fibro sufferers will share their experiences with you

Brightness