Is there anything to be gained for making a claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there anything to be gained for making a claim?

JustMe1965
JustMe1965 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I am currently not receiving any disability benefits despite having 3 prolapsed discs L0-L2, nerve damage on both side of L0 and left side of L1, with curvature of the spine ( mild ).

I have not made a claim for any disability because I simply think I will not get it, esp as I have seen documentaries where people in wheelchairs are deemed fit for work, living in the middle of nowhere and can only use a bus to get around.

Things have gotten worse with new pains in my knees, and more pain then usual in my back, I am waiting for an appointment at the hospital to get a mri scan done ( about the 4th one i had since my back went ), my question is do you think there is anything to be gained from making a claim for anything other then universal credit.

My 2nd question is do they take public transport in account when assessing your eligibility for work ?

I had to sign back on again because I was forced to cycle into work which I believe is the reason for things becoming worse, I am not working now, and do not see how I can with the time between the first bus and last bus is only 6 hours.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

PIP is a disability benefit awarded to those that are affected by their conditions at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not awarded based on not being able to work.

If you started a claim then evidence will be needed to support it and this should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

PIP isn't means tested so household income/savings and capital doesn't affect it.

You mention working and you're claiming Universal Credit. If you have a limited capability for work then you can send in fit notes from your GP to start the limited capability for work process off, providing you are working less than 16 hours per week.

Not being able to get to work because the public transport is bad in your area is not going to be a reason for you to have limited capability for work. During this assessment they assess your ability to do any type of work and how you get there isn't taken into consideration in this way. If you are found to have limited capability for work and work related activity you will receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month after you sent evidence of your limited capability for work. (fit note)

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, I see you have been given excellent advice already relating to tour query, nobody can say if it is worth claiming PIP or not but chack the descriptors and see if you think you would score.

As for UC fit for work getting to work isn't looked at , I was housebound permanent wheelchair user and found fit for work which was overturned at appeal. There is possible solutions for you getting to work like taxi etc and also a DWP scheme called (access to work) which helps people stay in work by assistance with providing solutyions.

I hope the information given helps you to decide about claimng any benefits you are entitled to

• JustMe1965
    JustMe1965 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited March 2020
    The access to work would be interesting to look at, but taxi would cost £35 per day and that's only to Chichester, even if I can get the bus 1 way then it is still £175 per week on taxi fares.  And at a rate of £8.21 per hr I fail to see how that is going to work out financially.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe you can find work more local? 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JustMe1965 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you found the above information and advice given by members to be helpful.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.