Feel guilty for trying to get extra help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feel guilty for trying to get extra help

Anja
Anja Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I recently applied for pip in Setepember due to many health issues. In dec i was declined so i asked for a mandatory reconsideration and was still declined. I dobt know what to do I got help from a kudbey advocate, mp case work and a friend. I had loads of support information including preceptuons, clinic letters test results and a letter from my GP backing my case. It was revieved in time and I outlined what i didn't agree with crom their first decision. Im a stroke, heart trnsplant, cancer survier im currently on pd dialysis as I'm in kidney failure. I feel so emotionally and mentally drained anyway this is just tge iceing on the cake. I almost feel guilty for trying to get this extra help. Sorry for long post just needed to vent. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Anja and I'm sorry to hear this. Firstly, you have every right to receive financial help (if you meet the criteria/are eligible). It is common to feel guilty, I have in the past but I came to realise I need these extra funds in order to help me stay independent.

PIP is not based on a diagnosis, it's based on your ability to carry out daily tasks and mobility. Are you receiving any other financial help?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

When a refusal for PIP has been given it's not unusual for the MR decision to remain the same because only about 15% of MR decisions change. Most people have to take it to Tribunal.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PP descriptors.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision for the MR to request the Tribunal. I'd advise you to do this, rather than start a new claim because starting a new claim and using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see another refusal and it will just become a vicious circle.

Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is that waiting times are huge across most of the country and lots are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

While you're waiting for the Tribunal hearing i'd advise you to do some research to try to have a better understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean because it definitely helps to have a better understanding. Start here.

For the written submission then you should concentrate on where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Concentrating on what did and didn't happen during the assessment will not get you a PIP award, the only thing this will do is weaken your case because they won't appreciate you mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report.

Letters from a GP aren't really the best evidence to send because a GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will only ever know the basics, which won't help a PIP claim.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anja
    Anja Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    In the written submisdion i wrote how the disabilities effect my day to day life and how I struggle glle including what extra help I get from my family.  I was told to highlight what i didnt agree with by the DWP ?. I also graded myself on what I thought I should be scored. No I dont get any other financial help. Thanks for your feedback. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Anja Hello and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear of your health conditions and that you have been refused the financial support you feel you deserve. The only option now as mentioned above is tribunal which doies have high % of success ragtes, however it is a long process and can take in excess of 12 months to get a hearting.

Good luck if you decide to appeal and keep us updated
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anja and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear of your present situation.  Please don't worry about venting as we all do that on here at times and that is what we are here for, to support each other.  I hope you found the above information and advice from members to be helpful and wish you well for the future.  As @janer1967 has already said, please keep us updated if you decide to appeal.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.