No care or pip awarded — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No care or pip awarded

Options
saudade
saudade Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My mother in law had a stroke in June 2019 which has left her bed bound and unable to care for herself. She was sent home on the basis of needing care 4 times daily for washing, dressing, eating and using the toilet. Because she owns her own home she is not entitled to any help with the cost. Living on her widows pension she can in no way afford this, so my husband has been her sole carer since September 2019. It has been extremely tough on our family as we are a young couple with children at living with my mother in law, we have received no help, training or respite care and are STILL awaiting a PIP assessment for her. It has been almost 6 months since the application was put in. 

Has as anyone else experience anything similar? If so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,004 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

There's no timescales for any decision. Expect a face to face assessment for her PIP claim because most people have them. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Some people are waiting several months or more for an assessment, while others wait just a couple of weeks. It really depends on the waiting  lists in her area.

She can ring DWP for an update and they'll tell her. If no assessment report has been returned to DWP then you will need to ring the health assessment providers (who ever that is for your area) and ask them for an update on the claim and they will tell you.

You can also refer her for a needs assessment from her local council. See link for information. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community, I presume your mother in law is under the age limit to apply for PIP @poppy123456 will be able to advise. I hope you hearing something soon have you given them a call to chase up, I would advise you do this as it isn't unknown for applications to go astray ?
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @saudade and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear about your present situation with your mother-in-law and can appreciate how difficult things must be for you and your family.  You have been given great advice above and I hope you find this helpful.  We are here to support you on the forum so please feel free to chat to us anytime if you need us.  If there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.