Miffed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Miffed

OSCAR1
OSCAR1 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
I, m a bit miffed with universal credit.. In most cases you have to wait 5 weeks for your payment... But then they offer you a loan to see you through till your first payment comes through so why dnt they just sack the five weeks give you the money straight away or is it as I guess to get more people into debt

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It is the assessment period in which they can work out how much you are entitled to. The advance payment is optional, we were asked if would like an advance but we declined.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OSCAR1
    Don't blame you the whole thing is a sham
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not all bad, it actually works well and some people are better off on UC than they were on legacy benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @OSCAR1, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. :)
    Scope

• OSCAR1
    Hi chloe I.,m OK so far..... I have an appointment with respiratory physiology tommorrow
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Our daughter is a single working mum and UC has worked well for her as I suspect it does for many people.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming đź’ˇ

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Our daughter is a single working mum and UC has worked well for her as I suspect it does for many people.

That's good to hear, I agree that it does work for some. I think what people struggle with mostly is because it's paid monthly and so many people can't budget for the single monthly payment. They see a larger sum of money and spend it once it's in the bank then have nothing left for the remainder of the month. Of course i do realise that people have bills but on legacy benefits it was easier to manage payments when they were fortnightly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.