Things to make life easier for disabled people others may not know about? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things to make life easier for disabled people others may not know about?

RollingRhino
RollingRhino Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hello good afternoon all,

I am entirely naive to this new world I find myself in. The only time I have ever claimed anything is this PIP claim that I am awaiting their decision on, they tell me they have an assessment report without having seen me, so I can only hope it’s a positive outcome. 

Anyway, this discussion today has led to a very kind person informing me about a scheme called motorbility. From what I understand depending on the PIP award (if I get one) I may be able to get a converted van to carry an electric wheelchair so I can get out with my wife and kids again without them half killing themselves trying to move me in an entirely impractical vehicle. This is huge! It made me realise I have no idea what other such options, claims or schemes may be available, that may just improve the lives of those with disabilities. The old adage of you don’t know what you don’t know, very much applies to me in this arena. 

If any of you have tips on things someone who is disabled can apply for or get through PIP and such like please can you kindly share? 

Just give full context, as of today some 14 months of being profoundly disabled I am not part of any schemes, I haven’t claimed nor do I receive anything from anyone apart from my GP insisting I apply for a blue badge which I have and the recent PIP applications.  

I apologise if I have placed this in the wrong forum I’m am still finding my way with this community board. 

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you share ? 

Just a regular dad and husband, was active global travelling board level business executive, who had fought cancer, then suddenly struck down. Became severely incapacitated. Chronic pain, lack of muscular control, cramps, fasciculations, muscle wasting etc and so much more on this 14 months of abject misery so far.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just one small thing you can apply for a CEA card which allows a carer into cinema free of charge also bus pass 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi RR, nice to meet you and will try to help.

This forum is a great place...friendly and supportive.
    I`ve been disabled 22 years and have often found things to help by accident or trawling the net!

Here are some things I have experience of;

Cea card, cost £6 a year.... complimentary tickets for carers at theatres, visitor attractions

Direct Payments which pay for or towards care for personal things like showering, toileting, dressing and outings

Respite fund for breaks or holidays from social services

Wheelchair Services, for wheelchairs and support cushions

Orthotics for walking aids like splints and foot protectors

District Nurses for catheter changes and supplies ie bandages, tape, urine begs, hospital beds, mattresses

Pivotel automatic medication dispenser/pharmacist delivery

Occupational Therapist....for help with home adaptations, seating

Physiotherapy.....for movement, walker frames

Movement & Handling ...for ceiling hoists and slings..

Maybe that`s enough for now!

Of course you may never need most of them!

Best wishes x

• RollingRhino
    RollingRhino Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Thank you for your kind replies. I will be sure to look into all that apply. 
    Just a regular dad and husband, was active global travelling board level business executive, who had fought cancer, then suddenly struck down. Became severely incapacitated. Chronic pain, lack of muscular control, cramps, fasciculations, muscle wasting etc and so much more on this 14 months of abject misery so far.

Brightness