PIP claim line said husband can't make a claim on my son's behalf - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP claim line said husband can't make a claim on my son's behalf

2»

Comments

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    donnap79 said:
    Ok thank you I thought they always done a face to face 

I believe it is rare not to have one though if they can get enough info off the application form, they can do a 'paper based' assessment.

That is what happened for my son (though pip can be refused on this paper based assessment as well as awarded and we havent got the result yet)
  • donnap79
    donnap79 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Oh ok thank you for all this information it is helpful knowing other people are experiencing the same sort of thing it’s so helpful 
  • donnap79
    Yh my son has always gone to appointments and everything but since he’s quit college and gone form hill it’s been so hard to get him to engage in anything so the well being team are aware of all this aswell 
  • anisty
    Maybe a support letter from the well being team could support a home visit then?

I do know of a local lad that got awarded enhanced rate both parts for social anxiety. He is a young adult and not sure of the exact circumstances but I know he is unable to leave his house at all. Last time i met his mum, he hadnt been outdoors for months.

I really hope your lad can be helped by the well being team and he can be helped to manage his anxiety and live a life.

It's very sad what has happened to this young man. Its good he got his pip award no bother but that's the only good thing to happen really.

Im sure his family would rather see him off pip and living again. 

Maybe, if you arent successful in getting the home visit though, try to think positive and support your son to get to the appt (maybe someone from the well being team could engage him; teens are often more challenging for parents)

Sometimes i think it is important to try to get out if at all possible and if he can leave the house at all, that is something to keep going with so his world doesnt become smaller and smaller as it did for the young man i mentioned above.

All the very best and keep up posted!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • donnap79
    When my husband rang. Up for the form they said cause my son is over 16 my son needed to be with my husband when he made the phone call to go threw security for him to be able to make the claim for them to send out the form as he was making a new claim as it’s been over a yr since he done the last one and it was turned down so this is a fresh claim they wouldn’t even let my husband give any details or anything I’m not sure if this is new but I’ve never known them to do this before 
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    edited March 2020
    B&W is excellent but there’s no need to spend money in order to understand the descriptors. Their page listing them is free to view and https://pipinfo.net/ works just as well.
       And this also is useful:    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831253/PIP-assessment-guide-part-2-the_assessment-criteria.pdf
       on how the descriptors should be interpreted.

B&W has some very good guides on completing the forms, and appealing a decision.  Very helpful if claimants can't assess help from a advice agency.
    These (IMO) are well worth the c.£20 annual membership fee.
  • [Deleted User]
  • anisty
    Your link there is really good @Username_removed and my recent experience of applying for pip by just answering the questions on the form without reference to any guides can work as well, it seems as even where i completely missed the point of the descriptors, the assessor seems to have been able to work out what help my son needed and even award points on questions where i had claimed none. But maybe we were very fortunate there.

For anyone that can afford it, Benefits and Work is WELL worth joining. Their guides are so thorough (the pip one is 93 pages long) and, for the one payment, you get all their other guides too on esa, uc, going to tribunal. Full lot.

Plus you cannot post on their forum unless you join. And i think their forum does offer something slightly different from this one as it is a delay before your post appears whilst they moderate all posts so it is a very advice based forum, with a more question and answer format.

By buying the guides, too, it must help them keep the forum going which is a good thing.

Both forums are brilliant and have both helped me. The links to the free resources are great but there is something very thorough and comprehensive about the b&w ones that give them that edge, that is what i think anyway

• [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.