Am I likely to be judged temporarily unfit for work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I likely to be judged temporarily unfit for work?

Roxyloulou
Roxyloulou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello I’m hoping someone can give me some advice please.
My GP has signed me off sick from my job since November I’m awaiting a knee replacement operation soon hopefully in the next 2-3 months. I’ve had my work capable appointment they have come back and said I’m fit for some work. I’m a care assistant at present I can’t do that due to swollen painful knees and using a walking stick. I’ve NVQ 3 and have been in this job for 3 years the hours are good as I’m a single parent of 2 on universal Credits.
I am only 42 and My consultant wouldn’t be doing my knee surgery unless I didn’t need it. I’m bone on bone on. I struggle with pain day and night and take strong pain relief to get me through the day. When I told them I can’t do my current job as I’m on my feet all shift it’s a busy home. They said I need to look for another job! I don’t want another job I love my job. And once I’m fit I will be going back. I can’t see another employer giving me a job that I have no experience in as I’ve done all aspects of care all my working life. Not just that who’s going to give someone a job knowing in 2-3 months or sooner they are going to be having a operation which will result in being off for 3 months. Then once fit I will be going back to my care job!! I only want to be temporary unfit for work is that such a thing? 
I’m going to appeal the decision. Am I likely  to get a temporary unfit for work. I’m going stir crazy at home I want to be back at work but I’m in a great deal of pain. How can they ignore what the GP has said? 
Any advise will be greatly received.
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    HI and welcome,

The work capability assessment is not about not being able to do your current job, it's about being able to do any type of work and this is what they will assess you're ability to do. It's because it's not about the work you can't do, it's about the work you can do and this is what they will look at.

You need to look at the descriptor for both LCW and LCWRA and see which, if any apply to you and if they don't apply to you then there's very little point in requesting the MR and Tribunal. My advice will be to speak to an advice agency near you for face to face advice/help and support. Before doing that you'll be able to see the descriptors for both groups here in these links.

If you do decide to go ahead with this then your first step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) if that fails and most do its Tribunal after that. Waiting times for hearings are huge across most of the country and lots of people are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, Poppy has already given you lots of advice to get your head around. Have you discussed the outcome with your work coach as they are the one to set out what you work commitments will be and take into account your current circumstances. 
  • Roxyloulou
    Roxyloulou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I’ve a appointment with him but not until 20th April.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.