Pip tribunal wait and coronavirus — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal wait and coronavirus

MobileGames
MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Evening. I'm currently on week 51 of waiting for a tribunal for pip appeal. My question is,with the coronavirus and being told to stay indoors,no going out unless to get food once a week,exercise once a day with family you live with or as a key worker,if I get a date through in the next few months as the current average waiting time in my area is 59 weeks,will it be by phone because I can't go over and risk taking the coronavirus back to my parents who are in their 70s with health problems? I need to isolate completely due to my parents,and going to the supermarket is out of the question,even was before this due to depression,anxiety and ocd. Crowds are a trigger of mine,very overwhelming to the point of frustration,feeling irritable and tears where I have to remove myself because I have visions of hurting someone. Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MobileGames
    edited March 2020
    @poppy123456. The information is confusing. If I still need to attend,I am NOT putting my family at risk. The PM said to only go out for shopping,if you're a key worker or to exercise once a day on your own or with family you live with,away from people. I know there's the 2mtr distancing rule,but I am NOT risking it. I'm not going into that building knowing that there's a coronavirus outbreak. No way! My parents ARE vulnerable. One has diabetes,both on blood thinners,one had a mini stroke,one has angina and a sticking heart valve,and they are BOTH over 70. I'd rather have it adjourned. 
  • MobileGames
    @Username_removed. Thank you for the Information. Thank goodness they are not open. I was panicking. I don't have a rep. Before the pandemic happened,one CAB had said that they'd arrange a volunteer driver to take me. I've had written representation from another CAB sent to the tribunal service back in January so I guess it's just waiting to be listed for a hearing and then being rung up to be heard by phone. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed thanks for that, i did indeed miss it. Much appreciated. I will remember that if more posts come with this question, which no doubt they will.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    One of the very rare occasions @poppy123456 is out of date :)

The current scenario is that all tribunal venues are shut and there are no oral hearings at all. Telephone hearings commence with immediate effect but most likely those where you have a rep will be postponed until they can get the bandwidth and organisation to enable conference calls. In the remaining cases a judge will preview the papers and call the appellant around the time the hearing is listed. They may also make separate calls to the DQM and medical professionals who might otherwise have sat with them. Some cases will be decided on the papers only but consent would ordinarily be needed for that. My personal guess would be that the only ones decided on the papers will be those where people have either consented to a paper hearing already or they’re one of Ernie Ryder’s “no brainier” cases i.e. those which ought to have been decided in favour much earlier. 
    Thanks for this, I had also missed that!  Do you know how long it will last?  My hearing is meant to be April 17th - should I assume the courts will still be closed by then?  

I made the appeal online so should I expect an email clarifying what's happening?

Also, do you know what number they use to call people if it's the same nationally?  I find it extremely difficult to use phones (quickly causing physical symptoms such as IBS & nausea to the point where I can't speak) and tbh I'm more worried about getting the phonecall than I was about attending in person before all of this started.

• neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    My PIP tribunal was supposed to be on 1st April, Just recieved a text saying it's cancelled and not to call as they have a limited service.

• neuromum4
  • neuromum4
    I can wait it's only been 14 months a few more plus won't make much of a difference.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't have a rep... :# 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.