What is PIP meant to be spent on — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is PIP meant to be spent on

rose250
rose250 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I'm 16 and get pip I think I get £400 a month but I'm not sure because my mum is my appointee so she looks at the letters.. she says that the reason they give me £400 is because some of it is meant to go to her and is meant to be for her and her rent is this true? She takes £160 a month so does £160 belong to my mum like she says and if some of it should go to her how much exactly? Thanks for any help I dont mind giving her some but don't want her to lie and take more than she's allowed as it makes me ocd and i don't even think she needs it I'm trying to save and buy essentials at the same time and I pay for a friends petrol when they take me places too

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @rose250 PIP can be spent on a variety of things to improve your quality of life and maintain your independence. This is your money, not your mum's I'm afraid. Does she claim carers Allowance for you?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    rose250 said:
    I'm 16 and get pip I think I get £400 a month but I'm not sure because my mum is my appointee so she looks at the letters.. she says that the reason they give me £400 is because some of it is meant to go to her and is meant to be for her and her rent is this true?
    Hi and welcome,

No, this isn't true. The PIP is meant for you, not for your mum's rent money. The reason you're claiming PIP is because you have a disability that affects your daily living.

If you're still in full time education then your mum should be claiming child benefit for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rose250
    Ami2301 said:
    Welcome to the community @rose250 PIP can be spent on a variety of things to improve your quality of life and maintain your independence. This is your money, not your mum's I'm afraid. Does she claim carers Allowance for you?
    rose250 said:
    I'm 16 and get pip I think I get £400 a month but I'm not sure because my mum is my appointee so she looks at the letters.. she says that the reason they give me £400 is because some of it is meant to go to her and is meant to be for her and her rent is this true?
    Hi and welcome,

No, this isn't true. The PIP is meant for you, not for your mum's rent money. The reason you're claiming PIP is because you have a disability that affects your daily living.

If you're still in full time education then your mum should be claiming child benefit for you.
    Thank you so much for the replies...I'm not sure what/or if she gets child benefits or if she gets carers allowance but she says she tried to get benefits because she was struggling with the rent and they said she isn't entitled because of how much they give me they say I should be helping her by giving some of mine to her? If this is true why is it in my bank and not hers. I can't talk to my mum about this because it comes across as me being spoilt and I'm scared she would cancel my pip or something and think I don't deserve it. I also don't want her getting into trouble I'm not sure she understands that it's for me 
  • rose250
    So basically I have to get money out for her because if I don't I'm scared she will cancel the pip and I won't get anything as she is my appointee as I struggle talking to people and organising things
  • poppy123456
    Your mum isn't being completely honest with you, sorry. Your money will have no affect in a bad way on what benefits she's entitled to.

If you're still in full time education and your mum is claiming tax credits or Universal Credit then she will be entitled to extra money for you because you will still be classed as a dependent.

Your mum's rent would not be affected by your PIP award.

She can't just cancel your PIP because you have an award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    My daughter is still in full time education and she claims PIP and i'm her appointee. Her PIP is paid int my bank but she has her own bank account. Once her PIP is paid into my bank i transfer her all of her money. The reason i do this is because it's not my money to spend and i would never take money off her.

As she's in full time education i receive child tax credits for her and because she's claiming Enhanced daily living PIP i also receive extra tax credits each week. This money i use for bills and food shopping.
  • rose250
    My daughter is still in full time education and she claims PIP and i'm her appointee. Her PIP is paid int my bank but she has her own bank account. Once her PIP is paid into my bank i transfer her all of her money. The reason i do this is because it's not my money to spend and i would never take money off her.

As she's in full time education i receive child tax credits for her and because she's claiming Enhanced daily living PIP i also receive extra tax credits each week. This money i use for bills and food shopping.
    Thank you so much for your help. I've spoken to her and she says she used to use my dla to pay for my essentials (for example I went through a stage of being scared tap water was poisoning me so she would use it to pay for expensive bottled water) apparently she no longer gets dla for me, and instead I get pip. She wants £160 to go towards all the things she has to pay extra for because of me (for example bottled water) and she said she won't take any if I drink tap water from now on and buy my own food... I can't do this, I have no idea how to cook and I can't even get myself a glass of water without having a break down(sounds crazy sorry) even if she got it I'd be worrying about the water having dirt or something inside of it and won't be able to drink it. I'd get dehydrated.. I don't know how to online shop for water either. Which is why she takes money so she can use it to buy the things I don't buy that go towards me. Hang on she's just informed me she's taking £220 out from now on I'm actually crying sorry, she's calling me the most selfish person she's ever met i don't want her in trouble though
  • rose250
    She just got £160 out but after coronavirus she's going to take £220 out. I don't want to get her into trouble apparently if I tell people it'll get her into trouble I feel so bad but I'm so stressed out I don't know what to do and as a punishment she's going to tell them I lied about how bad my autism and ocd is (which isn't true because it is as bad or worse than what we told them) i think it's fair she takes some out but she keeps lying about how much she's taking! I'd be fine with £100 I'm actually shaking I can't believe she's taking £220. Some money is fair because she uses it to go towards my daily needs or whatever but she's being crazy and I can't get her to stop because she'll lie and say my autism isn't as bad as we said even though it is 
  • rose250
    Wait I can't remember if she said she'd tell them my autism isn't bad but she said she'd tell them that I'm spending it unfairly and wasting it on clothes and makeup. I haven't bought makeup in ages and that was because I had anxiety about how I looked anyway and I haven't spent any money on anything in about two months
  • rose250
    Sorry for spam and thanks so much for you time. I don't want her in trouble I just think she's being ridiculous and it's stressing me out. Sure, she might need money, but it's making me stressed out because I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing giving her money.
  • poppy123456
    I don't see any issues about her taking some to pay for anything extra that you need. Whether she should be claiming benefits for herself is difficult to advise without knowing all of her financial circumstances.

I'm sorry this is stressing you out so much and i hope you'll be able to come to some agreement with her, regarding how much you should be paying towards the extra things that you need.
  • rose250
    Can someone remove this post please (: thanks in advance
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    It sounds like she has decided she needs/wants this money for looking after you, if she is buying your food shopping, taking care of household bills etc. then it seems a bit more reasonable than otherwise would be.

I wont comment much more then that, because I dont know the legalities of how appointees, work, but just be aware, living on your own is incredibly difficult in care needs and financially as well.  My living costs vastly outweigh £160 a month.
  • rose250
    worried33 said:
    It sounds like she has decided she needs/wants this money for looking after you, if she is buying your food shopping, taking care of household bills etc. then it seems a bit more reasonable than otherwise would be.

I wont comment much more then that, because I dont know the legalities of how appointees, work, but just be aware, living on your own is incredibly difficult in care needs and financially as well.  My living costs vastly outweigh £160 a month.
    Yes exactly! (: it is expensive living and as my appointee, my mum should be allowed to take money out because I can't do things for myself; she can take charge and spend it on the things I need...my concern is less about what she's spending it on now, but how much she's taking. 

I don't think she needs £220 for all my things because I buy my own things myself, too e.g. shampoo and conditioner I usually buy online because of anxiety going into shops. 

I worked out how much the things she buys for me cost and it came to around £150, not £220; I can't stop giving her money because I wouldn't be able to start buying things myself because of a list of reasons, anxiety talking to a cashier and being seen alone in public being two of the reasons. 

I can shop alone sometimes (there are a number of factors that make it less stressful but I usually hover around the shop for about an hour before being brave enough to speak to a cashier) but 90% of the time I need a friend with me; my best friend—and pretty much only friend—lives over an hour away which is why I keep spending money on their petrol too. He's absolutely amazing and he's helping me to become more independent.

Anyway, I think that's my last say on this issue! Thank you to everyone for your time and replies. It's much appreciated (:
  • rose250
    Let me just say my friend is nearly my age so I'm not hanging out with an older weirdo and our family are all friends w each other
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rose250, welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear your mum has been withholding some of your PIP money. Legally the money is yours and you should be paid the full amount.

If your mum was to need the money to cover extra disability related expenses, this must be an agreement between you both, rather than something that is done without you knowing.

You are not selfish and are entitled to that money.

If we can support you to have these conversations or where to seek advice then please do let us know.
    Scope

• soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Hi @rose250

Sorry but sounds to me like she is Blackmailing you. My son is nearly 16 and we've just transfered him onto PIP - he's been getting DLA since 4 basically. However we've also be getting the following added to the Universal Credit since we switched over to it.

Disabled element - £126.11
    Carer's element £160.21

Getting £286 deducted a month but that's because we claim Carers which is £264 a month - he's also been getting £234 DLA since he was 4.

If we didn't claim carers -  That £286 would go back on - so it's horses for courses

However - everything is going up and this extra £80 is only for a year (the 1.7% is seperate and permenant.

Anyway long story short - your mum can be and should be claiming carers etc and if she already is that's good - but in any case, even as your appointee she has no right to control your money to the extent she is, as I said she is virtually blackmailing you. 

• soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    And to answer your original question - Anything you like! I use mine to run my campervan - Even if I can't go anywhere far in it - it's my personal space and better than having bills in a flat to worry about!

Brightness