How is everyone coping — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How is everyone coping

Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
edited March 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hi how is everyone coping at this stressful time. The days seem to be blending together for me. Take care and stay safe x
Tagged:

Comments

• Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I was ok but now I’m starting to worry. One of my carers has decided she no longer wants to come to me because of the corona virus and now I’m concerned whether I’m doing the right thing in letting my other carer come out to me. She is washing her hands and puts gloves on but my concern is she is visiting other clients and around their family members and could give it to me, but In the same instance I need the help. I feel I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We are fine. None of the kids really know what is happening (we have mentioned isolation to them) but that is fine. I have prepared a list of fun simulating activities to do for my family as well. We also go for walks at a local park too. But I cannot wait until this is over seriously! I think that some of this is pure fear mongering (isn't that wrong?) however. 

Maybe you should talk to her about your concerns @Rifi7
  • Firefly123
    Rifi7 said:
    I was ok but now I’m starting to worry. One of my carers has decided she no longer wants to come to me because of the corona virus and now I’m concerned whether I’m doing the right thing in letting my other carer come out to me. She is washing her hands and puts gloves on but my concern is she is visiting other clients and around their family members and could give it to me, but In the same instance I need the help. I feel I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place!
    I can understand your conserns but not easy if you need the help. Just make sure she is following the hygiene guidelines. 
  • Firefly123
    We are fine. None of the kids really know what is happening (we have mentioned isolation to them) but that is fine. I have prepared a list of fun simulating activities to do for my family as well. We also go for walks at a local park too. But I cannot wait until this is over seriously! I think that some of this is pure fear mongering (isn't that wrong?) however. 

Maybe you should talk to her about your concerns @Rifi7
    That's good you are managing. We are on lock down as I am very high risk. 

I have very close friends in Italy who have bodies in the street waiting to be collected.so definitely scares me. 

We are all just taking it a day at a time finding ways to pass the time x

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wasn't coping before this started, so I'm definitely not now...  :D  At least I can laugh about it, forum regulars may have noticed I don't take myself too seriously!

I've got to go shopping tomorrow, on top of all my usual fears and worries around that, I'm also worried about touching my communal door handle, the car battery being flat, getting stopped by the police and having to explain that I need food, finding queues outside the supermarket and having to abort mission and head for another store...and then getting stopped by the same police for still being outside, then getting to the next supermarket to find they have no soap (down to my last half bottle now!) or food, and getting coughed on by ignorant shoppers that are not only coughing everywhere, they're not even staying 2 metres away from others...

Should be fun... :#
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Went to iceland this morning they were making sure everybody kept to the common sense rules, they had everything I needed and no problem getting a taxi there and back (buses almost non existent here).
    We are otherwise bored out of our minds, even been moving the furniture around !
    Stay safe all x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Firefly123
    I wasn't coping before this started, so I'm definitely not now...  :D  At least I can laugh about it, forum regulars may have noticed I don't take myself too seriously!

I've got to go shopping tomorrow, on top of all my usual fears and worries around that, I'm also worried about touching my communal door handle, the car battery being flat, getting stopped by the police and having to explain that I need food, finding queues outside the supermarket and having to abort mission and head for another store...and then getting stopped by the same police for still being outside, then getting to the next supermarket to find they have no soap (down to my last half bottle now!) or food, and getting coughed on by ignorant shoppers that are not only coughing everywhere, they're not even staying 2 metres away from others...

I totally understand that I have two sons who have ocd and are not dealing so well at the monent and can't even leave the house on the best of days.
    Trying to get online deliveries are weeks ahead not much help if you need food now. Good luck you get what you need tomorrow. 
  • Firefly123
    woodbine said:
    Went to iceland this morning they were making sure everybody kept to the common sense rules, they had everything I needed and no problem getting a taxi there and back (buses almost non existent here).
    We are otherwise bored out of our minds, even been moving the furniture around !
    Stay safe all x
    That's good you managed to get what you needed. This nice weather doesn't help. We are on day, 16 and also getting bored trying to do things to help the time pass. 
  • Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Hello everyone
    Sorry to read some of the situations you are finding yourselves in, especially those who have carers visiting. If you have concerns speak to your GP surgery, social services etc.
    I am isolating for the proposed 12 weeks and I am grateful that we are being kept safe. I feel also by staying in doing my bit for the greater good. Not saying it going to be easy not seeing family etc but hopefully we are freeing up beds for people whose lives hopefully will be saved.
    Mentally I can imagine it must be hard but that is what this community is here for so please when that feeling starts just type say what you feel and this will help.
    Prior to be the list of highest risk being asked to stay home shopping was not fun. Idiots (thankfully not the majority) been before me and many others and I began to realise how Old Mother Hubbard felt!!
    Tips for shopping. Check local shops for vulnerable opening times, although I argue it is unreasonable to expect vulnerable people whether through health or age to shop between 8 -9. On the other hand the gesture is being made available so if you can use it. 
    Wash and gel hands before leaving ( and wear gloves disposable or other) also for extra re-assurance use a tissue, kitchen paper, or wet wipe to open communal door handle. Don't forget to bin!
    Wipe your car handle if car been parked on road you never can be too safe. Steering wheel should be alright as you were last to touch but hey does it hurt to wipe?
    I don't think police stopping you should be a problem, you may be stopped but they are not looking for genuine people shopping their aim is to check all as we all know some people always abuse a system. They are only human and remember they have their own worries. To put your mind at rest have your shopping list ready. 
    More and more stores are now introducing safe distancing, spray etc. Always carry your own sterilising gel or wipes.For peace of mind. If trolleys/baskets not being wiped always wipe the handle, this is were I prefer to use gloves. 
    Go down aisles that have no one down, I have started going down an aisle someone came up other end turned around and found another aisle, may take longer but can be done. Depending on your illness you could always phone ahead and speak to a customer service adviser and ask if you can have member staff go round store for you and leave trolley near checkout for you. Obviously not all stores will be able to offer this service but always worth a try.
    Best if you have your own washable shopping bags, which can be put in trolley or basket and fill those directly, as these will have had people putting in and taking out prior to you. Gel your hands again, not needed if wearing gloves before picking items of shelves.
    On checking out put items on conveyor belt as usual and repack into your bag. Pay with card if possible which is not everyone's preferred method but under circumstances if possible try to use. If paying by card wipe over once swiped before putting back into wallet or purse. If paying by cash take small bag and ask cashier to put change in. When home can spray or leave somewhere safe.
    On leaving once again wipe boot and car door handles and this time recommend wiping steering wheel. Once home repeat the process followed on leaving.
    Believe it or not despite taking all these precautions shopping can be fun we are after all a nation of shopkeepers which in turn means we must be nation of shoppers.
    Lets stay together and keep safe.
  • Firefly123
    Lots of good advice from @Bridget14
    Just to add to it I have been wiping all my shopping down with antibacterial wipes.
    Im also in for the long haul have 3 young adults with autism and other complex needs they need me to get them through this tough time.

• Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Thank you Firefly123 for saying good advice and mentioning wiping all shopping down.
    Sorry to hear you have 3 young adults with autism you are going to need your wits about you these coming weeks. As the saying goes we are all in this together and together this community will see each other through.
    Keep safe
  • Firefly123
    Yes they have informed me its the easter holidays so no college work will be done.

Just taking one day at a time but yes we will get through this. 

You also take care and stay safe ☺ 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger

I totally understand that I have two sons who have ocd and are not dealing so well at the monent and can't even leave the house on the best of days.
    Trying to get online deliveries are weeks ahead not much help if you need food now. Good luck you get what you need tomorrow. 
    Thanks, it wasn't too bad after all but not something I want to repeat regularly, can't really believe it's only been one week of lockdown so far.  The car battery wasn't flat, and I didn't get stopped by any police lol.  But most importantly the store had plenty of anti-bac soap, literally whole shelves full of it!  Managed to get almost everything I needed and won't have to go shopping again for at least another week now.  Did spend an awful lot of time sanitizing everything (food, keys, phone, wallet, door handles, shopping bags etc) once I got home and then cleaned the bathroom and got fresh towels & clothes before finally having a shower...so hopefully I'm 'safe' from the virus indoors at least!  :) 

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I don't haven't got to stay in the house for 12 week thank goodness! I do have a heart but it isn't bad enoughfor me to need to isolate myself but I have tried to stay in the house as much as possible. Only going out to walk the dog. I got a phone call yesterday from my dad asking if I wanted him to go shopping for me. (I think he worries about me). I had to go to town to collect my prescription so I did my own shopping. I shopped in Iceland and they had marked the floor out all round the shop and all the cashiers were wearing gloves. When I went to the chemist to collect my prescription the floor was marked and they were only letting a couple of people in at once and making people go in and out of the shop through different doors. I think the shops are doing all they can to help stop the disease spreading
  • Firefly123
    @OverlyAnxious glad you managed to get all you need still no anti soaps available here at all I keep checking each day to add to my shopping on Saturday. 
    Stay safe ☺ 

I'm on day 17 of isolation feels like a month.

@deb74 aww I'm sure your dad does worry about you. My oldest has been walk the dog. Good that the shops are all taking measures to prevent the spread. I've got close friends in Italy and seen what they are going through. Stay safe ☺ 
  • MISTYM
    MISTYM Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi I'm new I am very high risk as I have asthma rheumatoid arthritis raynauds phenomenon and a few other problems I have a monthly iv tocilizumab I'm scared I won't get my medication or iv anymore without it I would be in pain 24/7 I'm scared of this horid virus just taking each day one at a time and need to isolate but finding it hard 
  • Firefly123
    MISTYM said:
    Hi I'm new I am very high risk as I have asthma rheumatoid arthritis raynauds phenomenon and a few other problems I have a monthly iv tocilizumab I'm scared I won't get my medication or iv anymore without it I would be in pain 24/7 I'm scared of this horid virus just taking each day one at a time and need to isolate but finding it hard 
    Hi I'm also high risk and am not going out at all. Did you sign up to the government vulnerable service if you need help with shopping or meds. https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable should get some help if you register ☺ 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I have just been bored, but I’m sure I have that in common with a lot of the population.

We have been going out to run errands for vulnerable neighbours - food shopping, prescriptions etc. If I’m being brutally honest it is for our benefit as much as for selfless reasons as it provides us with a valid reason to be able to leave the house.

The roads are really quiet. I went for a drive on Christmas day and the roads are quieter now than they were even at Christmas. 
  • Firefly123
    Hi @66Mustang yes I'm very bored also trying to keep it as calm as possible. That's nice of you"'s helping your neighbours. The days just seem to blend together. Keep safe ☺ 
  • MISTYM
    MISTYM Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi firefly123 yes I did sign up thank you for the info though much appreciated 

Brightness