About to give up with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About to give up with PIP

BattlingOn
BattlingOn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all.  I have anxiety and depression, scoliosis, slipped discs and chronic pain.  I worked until July 18 when bullying in work tipped me over the edge.  I applied for PIP in Feb 19, decision July 19.  I was assessed as 0 throughout which nearly tipped me over the edge.  I was due to have an appeal hearing last week but it was cancelled.  DWP did a telephone offer of standard care but no mobility, and my CAB solicitor is saying I should accept.  I don't understand why.  I cannot walk far at all, I cannot go anywhere I don't know, I could not use public transport.  Please help me.  I try and read guidance on sites but my MH issues mean I get confused and I just need someone to explain this to me.  I can't take much more.  thank you in advance.  

Comments

• DoriFish
    DoriFish Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Hi @BattlingOn
    I'm sorry to hear this & I understand how overwhelming & unfair the system is.
    But have courage
    Listen to CAB they are dealing with this every day & they understand how it all works
    Even if its delaying the outcome because of the Corona virus, you have to start the appeal now.
    It's easy to give up because your tired & depressed but Please don't 
    We are all standing behind you as most of us have been there.
    Have faith in yourself I was told & I pass that on to you x
  • BattlingOn
    Thank you DoriFish - I really have come to the end of it today.  I know what you're saying about CAB but I honestly think she is wrong - I am not bigheaded, I will always listen to what people say but I have to understand in order to agree with someone.  She is saying 1d applies to sight impaired people only, then said that because I can drive on very short familiar journeys I dont qualify under 1d even though I can't go anywhere I don't know, I can't use public transport etc etc.  If I am misunderstanding the descriptors etc then I will accept that, but I just don't get it!  This illness is hideous isn't it, cos you don't know when your thinking is wrong because of your illness etc.  thank you so much again for posting back x
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    With the very limited info you've given us, it does sound like you don't qualify for mobility for MH as you can go out alone and drive a car despite not being able to go far.  There are a lot of us in the same boat with this!

However, you should score some points for 12 if your chronic pain, slipped disc etc mean you can only walk up to 50 metres.
  • Levi2016
    Levi2016 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I’ve just been through the exact same thing it is a struggle with them these health professionals are a waste of time if you haven’t got it written down then it doesn’t exist their complaints procedure is the biggest load of bull  I’ve ever heard The health professionals are there to get you off the benefit not put you on you are better off getting a letter from your doctor stating what you can and cannot do this without you out without medical evidence you could die in front of them and they would still write down but you are perfectly fine
  • Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Hello everyone

Never give up with PIP. I have been turned down twice but will continue. Last time I went through process on my own. Now I am receiving help from a local charity. Check your area I know Dial no longer help complete forms etc, It is soul destroying and does impact on your health but why give up. Spring is in the air lets look forward and keep trying.
    Have actually noticed carrying out PIP assessments in local GP practices, naturally before Covid 19. Not sure if this a good or bad thing any thoughts?
    Wonder how many of the assessors would receive it if they suffered any of the conditions we all suffer. That being said I would not wish ill health on anyone.
  • Sorry_Susan
    Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Has any one actually ever received PIP on the first try? This is soul destroying.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Has any one actually ever received PIP on the first try? This is soul destroying.

Yes course, lots of people successfully claim PIP first time, without any problems at all but of course we don't often hear the good stories, only the bad ones. If someone's had a decision they're happy with we don't hear the story.

The most important thing to remember is for your dad to give a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him.

Most MR decision's remain the same so it's likely he'll have to take to it Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BattlingOn
    Thanks all. I’m feeling a little more positive and a little bit calmer today so I’m going to try to research the issue and will keep you updated. Thanks so much again for the support. 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited March 2020
    You actually have similarities to myself.

Can walk (but not very far).
    Cannot use public transport, anxiety and depression, chronic pain restricting activities.

I think getting mental health descriptors can be very tough, especially if you doing the claim by yourself, because I think they expect people with severe enough mental health problems to require someone to be with them, and those who dont have someone with them seem to have a very hard time getting the descriptors.

For reference I am on standard care and no mobility, and I "did" "accept" the award offered.

From what you have described I think you would have a very hard time of getting enhanced mobility, meaning the difference between standard and nothing is only circa £20 a week.  Personally for me considering I also got SDP from the award (which you will also if you on income based ESA, and dont have a carer), then I felt putting myself through the stress of MR and appealing wasnt worth it for the £20.  Sometimes people perhaps have a too high expectation of what are entitled to.

So what I mean by this is to look at the descriptors for pip, go through them one by one, and score yourself honestly.  If this comes up with a higher award then "consider" appealing.

Also bear in mind you can accept their offer and then after still decide to appeal.  Which would mean you get the payments whilst it is ongoing.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited March 2020
    Yes I did.

But some of it is about realistic expectations.  As almost everyone seems to be expecting enhanced awards.

I was expecting an award of standard care, and no mobility, with an outside chance of getting standard mobility.

I ended up getting standard care and no mobility, that was my expectation, so I did not do a MR or appeal.

It was a straight up recommendation from the HCP to the DWP who decided to agree with it.
  • yvonne9
    yvonne9 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Take the DWP offer and set your case out on your next review this will give you some income which will be backdated if you qualify until all this virus is over 
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous

Not sure I see the logic there. Why wait until the next review? Exactly the same issue could occur but waiting until the next review kicks it down the road without solving it. 

Far better to accept the offer; get the money in payment and then appeal anyway. No new MR needed nor any delay until the next review. 
    I agree with you, but the OP clearly says that they can't take anymore of the aggravation with the DWP.
    Not everyone can be in the frame of mind to take on the system at a Tribunal even if they have an iron clad case.
    A lot of people will accept what they are given and avoid any further contact with the DWP.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @BattlingOn, how are you getting on? I hope you're doing okay.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.