Council tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council tax

kane1994
kane1994 Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
Hi I've recently been declared unfit for work and work related activity by universal credit, I owe £560.00 council tax and really have no way of paying what they are demanding I've also getting my new council tax bill in and thats the same even though I'm telling them I do no work anymore.

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated do I need to ask for income and expenses form? 

I have a DRO already so that's out the question.

Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and you need to apply for this from your local council? Have you applied for the reduction? All local councils have their own rules/criteria for this. I do believe that most people have to pay about 20% council tax, even with CTR, unless you're claiming for SMI. If you've already claimed for CTR then you'll need to speak to your local council to arrange a payment plan for the money you owe. Please don't ignore the letters, please ring them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kane1994
    Hi I won't ignore the letters and I already get a 5.00 a month reduction so I'll see what I can do once I've rang again their asking for £180 before they'll look at payment plan. I'm also waiting on a call form citizen advice
  • kane1994
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kane1994
    Hi I have cerebral palsy left hemiplegia I also suffer from depression and anxiety would this class as mentally impaired . Because I see on your link some people with strokes are mentally impaired
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea but to claim it First, you'll need a doctor's diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed a condition causing severe mental impairment. In some cases you'll need to attach a written diagnosis to your claim – in others you just give your doctor's details and they'll be contacted for confirmation.
  • kane1994
    Okay great I'll speak with my doctor as I have mental health issues that prevent me from doing normal daily tasks 
  • poppy123456
    Having mental health issues doesn't mean you qualify for SMI.
  • kane1994
  • Kimberleyh
    Kimberleyh Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Having mental health issues doesn't mean you qualify for SMI.
    What is SMI please? 
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited March 2020
    Hi @kane1994

To get council tax relief, because of severe mental impairment, you need your GP to issue a certificate, to confirm same.

The GP has to certify that your condition is life long and is not treatable.

An example condition would be servere/moderate learning difficulties.

You get the blank certificate from your council, so phone them, they do not send them out ad lib.

If you get the certificate, you will be exempt from council tax, for life.

You also have to be in receipt of standard rate of PIP, daily living component.

Keep us informed.

• Kimberleyh
    atlas47 said:
    Hi @kane1994

To get council tax relief, because of severe mental impairment, you need your GP to issue a certificate, to confirm same.

The GP has to certify that your condition is life long and is not treatable.

An example condition would be servere/moderate learning difficulties.

You get the blank certificate from your council, so phone them, they do not send them out ad lib.

If you get the certificate, you will be exempt from council tax, for life.

Keep us informed.

• Kimberleyh
    Really I didn't know that 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.