Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Council tax

kane1994kane1994 Member Posts: 55 Connected
Hi I've recently been declared unfit for work and work related activity by universal credit, I owe £560.00 council tax and really have no way of paying what they are demanding I've also getting my new council tax bill in and thats the same even though I'm telling them I do no work anymore.

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated do I need to ask for income and expenses form? 

I have a DRO already so that's out the question.

Thanks 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and you need to apply for this from your local council? Have you applied for the reduction? All local councils have their own rules/criteria for this. I do believe that most people have to pay about 20% council tax, even with CTR, unless you're claiming for SMI. If you've already claimed for CTR then you'll need to speak to your local council to arrange a payment plan for the money you owe. Please don't ignore the letters, please ring them.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • kane1994kane1994 Member Posts: 55 Connected
    Hi I won't ignore the letters and I already get a 5.00 a month reduction so I'll see what I can do once I've rang again their asking for £180 before they'll look at payment plan. I'm also waiting on a call form citizen advice
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hi I have cerebral palsy left hemiplegia I also suffer from depression and anxiety would this class as mentally impaired . Because I see on your link some people with strokes are mentally impaired
    I have no idea but to claim it First, you'll need a doctor's diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed a condition causing severe mental impairment. In some cases you'll need to attach a written diagnosis to your claim – in others you just give your doctor's details and they'll be contacted for confirmation.
    Okay great I'll speak with my doctor as I have mental health issues that prevent me from doing normal daily tasks 
    Having mental health issues doesn't mean you qualify for SMI.
  • KimberleyhKimberleyh Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Having mental health issues doesn't mean you qualify for SMI.
    What is SMI please? 
  • atlas47atlas47 Member Posts: 118 Pioneering
    edited March 2020
    Hi @kane1994

To get council tax relief, because of severe mental impairment, you need your GP to issue a certificate, to confirm same.

The GP has to certify that your condition is life long and is not treatable.

An example condition would be servere/moderate learning difficulties.

You get the blank certificate from your council, so phone them, they do not send them out ad lib.

If you get the certificate, you will be exempt from council tax, for life.

You also have to be in receipt of standard rate of PIP, daily living component.

Keep us informed.

atlas47 said:
    Hi @kane1994

To get council tax relief, because of severe mental impairment, you need your GP to issue a certificate, to confirm same.

The GP has to certify that your condition is life long and is not treatable.

An example condition would be servere/moderate learning difficulties.

You get the blank certificate from your council, so phone them, they do not send them out ad lib.

If you get the certificate, you will be exempt from council tax, for life.

Keep us informed.

Really I didn't know that 
Sign in or join us to comment.