Let's Chat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let's Chat

AndyGT
AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
edited April 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hello One and All. I hope you are all ok and that life is treat you kindly. It is not an easy time but if you have friends like you do on this site they will help you get through. Together, as a team, as a family there is nothing we can't get through. It is difficult if you are on your ow . Not only do you not have some to look out for you, t is simple things not having someone to talk to about the movie you had just see  or what you had for dinner or how you are feeling. If anyone wants to start a conversation like you would when sitting near someone (2 meters apart of course) then start.  Or if we agree on a tv programme or film that is on then say so and we can watch it en mass  and then talk about it after like you would do if you were sitting with someone? What do you think? Any suggestions? Take care of yourself....... 
Tagged:

Comments

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Good idea AndyGT  

Also, although I'm not sure how to set it up but there are online games that we could link together and play if anyone would interested?  Denise 11
  • AndyGT
    They would have to be simple as many people,like myself are utterly useless. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @AndyGT!

This is a great idea. What is your favorite hobby? But what do you have in mind? 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @AndyGT,
                         Thank you for this fantastic idea. I think particularly speaking about a film that someone may have just watched or a programme on the TV. Another idea could be to discuss a book that someone may have just finished reading or maybe a book suggestion- almost starting a book club type scenario. I don't know if this will work for people- just an idea. Thank you. 
  • AndyGT
    I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Anything to help people feel that they are not alone and that they are part of something  bigger.  Even just a group of friends talking about something, whether it is a book, film, tv programme, even a computing game. Whatever you feel happy talking about...... It doesn't have to be chapter and verse just what ever that person wants to say.  Big or small I'll kick off with something  later unless someone wants to start now. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A great idea @AndyGT!! 
    Scope

• AndyGT
    Ok....We'll start off with favourite TV programmes.  I must admit I am anti Dr Who fan. To be honest I like Sci Generally as a whole especially if you go far enough back (and this shows my age) to Blakes7. Dr Who though is the best of the bunch.  I can still remember sitting behind my sofa on a Saturday evening having dinner.  As soon as the music started I would pick up my plate and move. Now though, I wouldn't?'t miss it.For.me it is pure escapism and generally it is fun. Though I did think the latest series was rather Dark...... I must admit since being stuck indoors like everyone else I have found the guilty pleasure of  Hawaii5-0......  Anyway, what do you like and why???? 
  • AndyGT
    That kicked it off hopefully.  If you want to talk about a book who wants to kick that off? Movies? Music? Just pick up a conversation and run with it. If you want to talk about anything then please start a subject.  Have a chat and remember you are not alone.  Gaming has also.been suggested? If you want to then do so. Or how about we choose a movie or tv programme we all watch at the same time? Any suggestions.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    My favourite TV programme would have to be Grey's Anatomy! A new series is coming out soon, very excited. :)
    Scope

• AndyGT
    I must admit I have never been a great fan of hospital dramas.  The only one I watched on a regular basis was one called Chicago Hope.bzck in the 90s I think..... Where is Greys Anatomy set? 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @AndyGT,
                          How are you? I personally I am not a huge fan of Dr Who though I have watched a few episodes here and there. I am told that David Tennant and Christopher Ecclestone are among the top Dr's but who is your favourite Dr? I enjoy watching Last Tango in Halifax and was thrilled to watch the 5th series back on the BBC last month, class writing and class acting! Anyone else seen it? Thank you. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    @WestHam06 I have not seen the Last Tango in Halifax but a few family members have and they told me it’s really good, and funny as well. I might watch it now  :)
  • AndyGT
    Well..My favour is a big question.  One of my favourites goes back to when I first started watching. Way back to the 70s with Jon Pertwee as he was the first Dr I saw. Of the latest bunch, David Tennant was excellent and Matt Smith was good.  The latest one (Jodie Whittaker) is ok and could be great but I feel some of the stories have let her down.  She has had some unwarranted complaints. I hope she carries on.  What is it you like about Last tango in Halifax? I know it is amusing but do you like comedy? Comedy Drama? Or what. I have seen Anne Reid in Dinnerladies which was very funny and going back even further I have seen a few episodes of I Claudius with Derrick Jacobi...... What else do you like? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @AndyGT, Grey's Anatomy is is set in Seattle (at the fictional Seattle Grace Hospital, later renamed), it is filmed primarily in Los Angeles, California!
    Scope

• Tony60
    Tony60 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    There's so many I quite like the older stuff Alias Smith and Jones from the seventies, Steptoe and Son, Quantum Leap ,Columbo, X files, Red Dwarf (looking forward to the new 90 min episode next week).
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    anyone else as obsessed with the walking dead as I am? it's coming to the end of the 10th series but still lots to discuss.

@Columbo a 90 min ep of my beloved red dwarf? dont play with me. im hyperventilating like a crazy fangirl at the idea.

• Tony60
    Tony60 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Yeah Red Dwarf Thursday the 9th April at 9pm on Dave. It's called The Promised Land.
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    ive set the tivo in anticipation, thanks Columbo.

i remember a few years back when the usual suspects complained about unemployed and disabled people having 'widescreen tvs 'and cable services whilst on benefit. one good thing about the lockdown is that they get a temporary taste of being at home for weeks on end with only the tv for company. i thank the Lord for virgin media, youtube and amazon prime. not the most ethical companies but they do serve up some pretty decent tv.

• AndyGT
    I was never a great fan of the original Star Trek but use to enjoy Star Trek Voyager.  I can remember buying a computer game where you designed and built your own Federation fleet that then went out on many operations.  I enjoyed the game but just was very good. I do enjoy a good comedy and currently have absolutely loved The Windsors and This Country.... If you have never seen them do give it a try. I use to watch Columbo if it was on, but from that period I loved The Rockford Files and one called Harry O
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    mrbuttons said:
    anyone else as obsessed with the walking dead as I am? it's coming to the end of the 10th series but still lots to discuss.
    It's probably my favourite TV show of all time. I believe @tonyj is a bit of a fan as well!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness