Paid Carers if they are family! Coronavirus dilemma — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paid Carers if they are family! Coronavirus dilemma

19681989 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Dear all, I have a dilemma. My son has severe LD /autism he struggles with carers won't have them so last year I  employed his half sister (who doesn't live with us). She does around 10-15 hours a week. 
With the coronavirus situation, she has not been for over 2 weeks.
I have asked for clarification from my support services broker but have not recieved any advice. 
They is only me I live alone with my adult son he is up all night  until 4-5am (this is since he has started a new med  citalopram, and I'm struggling. I'm getting impatient with him which is not fair on him.
However, everyone is in lockdown and I would feel guilty allowing my daughter too come even though she is a paid P. A with the local authority.
 I have put her on furlough for the time being, paid. . 
She has been ringing him everyday and face timing him to cheer him up. 
I do not have a partner or sadly any friends or other family  to turn to, communicate with.
My first question is 1.is it even allowed,? I do 'not want a fine.
2.moral dilemma, what would you do?

Thank you in advance. Keep well. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Having read your post a few times, i'm not sure what the question is here. I think you're asking is it ok that you are paying her furlough? if so then no, furlough is when the employed person isn't able to work because of the lockdown and to save that person from being made redundant the government will pay 80% of the wages but the employer needs to apply for the furlough but i don't think you can apply for this for the PA.

My daughter has a PA for 8 hours per week and all of her support has currently stopped and i'm not paying her PA at all at the moment. This is purely because of the lockdown.

May i ask who pays for your son support? is it funded by his local council?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
     Ahh sorry I've got that completely wrong she's not self employed. So not eligible for furlough. 
    There is no dilemma if support workers are not allowed in the home. 

I'm confused as I know that other support workers are working my friend is a manager for LD and her support workers are working. . 

My sons support is funded by the local council.
    Re, lockdown. - 
    Are support workers not allowed too do support atm? 

Thankyou

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My carers are still coming in as normal.

In fact we need them more now as they are shopping for us.

We are on lockdown ourselves.

My carers are paid by Direct Payments.

Pollsx
    Hi thanks for your reply, my sons P. A is related his half sister, she doesn't live with us, so I've not let her come for 2 weeks as I don't want to be fined or.. As I said even if it's allowed i feel guilty as other people can't see relatives. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @19681989, supporting disabled people is a valid reason to leave your house. Are you struggling with the care yourself? 

If the care is necessary then it is allowed to continue, but this is your decision.

Here is some more information: Carers during COVID-19

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Hi thankyou
    I've looked at every piece of information prior too coming on here it doesn't cover our situation sadly. 

Yes it's difficult daily as I have my own health problems. it is for everyone.... 
    But because she is my daughter I'm conflicted. 
    Also worried about her exposure to us.

How is everyone coping??

• Grace_Scope
    Grace_Scope Community member, Scope Member Posts: 39 Connected
    Thank you Grace. Best wishes 

Brightness