experiences — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

experiences

mrconspicuous
mrconspicuous Community member Posts: 26 Connected
I would like to hear from people who have started from the bottom ie volunteering & the path that followed to where they are now. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    While working full time farming on my weekends off I walked passed a meals on wheels delivery service depot. On several occasions a member of staff tried to interest me in a weekend job as a delivery driver. After talking it through with my employer I started in September lernt several routes well enough to go solo after a few learning weekends for the routes which could and did change daily. After 6 months I was prompted to driver loader and 9 months later I became the weekend supervisor / driver, loader with a pay increased to match. But due to the County Council budget cuts the operation of the delivery service was ended and the two depots one in the North and other in the South had to close. 
  • mrconspicuous
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for sharing your story Wilko, unfortunate that the funding ended.
    are you looking to do anything else? 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    No since the meals on wheels ended I have reduced my volunteering, ,and concentrated on my lay ministry until I was medically retired being diagnosed with MS but still able to use technology for my ministry.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I started volunteering for Scope about 6 years ago, I now work for the Online Community. :)
    Scope

• mrconspicuous
    Thanks for your input Chloe & Mike,
    It sounds like volunteering is the way to go.
    i recently started the starting line program with Denise, hopefully she can help me progress 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.