Free NHS Medication / Food Parcels — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free NHS Medication / Food Parcels

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Okay, so I get my NHS prescriptions for free because of my qualifying conditions.

My question is, why do I get ALL of my NHS medication for free?

The same question for the food parcels that I’m currently receiving. Why free?
Tagged:

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    tcellmutation....I understand what you mean . ( I think) ...In Scotland everyone gets free prescriptions , this fact annoys the heck out my son, he is in a well paid job and he has asthma . He has as even asked to pay for his prescription ...but...was told the pharmacy could not take money for prescription . He buys anything he needs like paracetamol ect ...he has even asked his doctor about paying for his prescriptions . He said he has stood at the pharmacy where a millionaire was shouted forward and collected his 'Free' bag of prescribed medicines . 
    The reason for free food is more straight forward I believe ...if someone buys food , they buy what they want ( what they like eating) but the free food is a set menu that tries to cover necessities only . Another reason is that many people are on their own and have not got anyone to go to the shops for them  ..plus it's almost impossible to get a delivery from shops , I tried Asda just the other day and I cannot get a delivery for weeks . ...not much use if I,m  starving . I believe that it's the governments place to make sure everyone has enough food to live on .
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2020
    Seanchai said:
    tcellmutation....I understand what you mean . ( I think) ...In Scotland everyone gets free prescriptions , this fact annoys the heck out my son, he is in a well paid job and he has asthma . He has as even asked to pay for his prescription ...but...was told the pharmacy could not take money for prescription . He buys anything he needs like paracetamol ect ...he has even asked his doctor about paying for his prescriptions . He said he has stood at the pharmacy where a millionaire was shouted forward and collected his 'Free' bag of prescribed medicines . 
    The reason for free food is more straight forward I believe ...if someone buys food , they buy what they want ( what they like eating) but the free food is a set menu that tries to cover necessities only . Another reason is that many people are on their own and have not got anyone to go to the shops for them  ..plus it's almost impossible to get a delivery from shops , I tried Asda just the other day and I cannot get a delivery for weeks . ...not much use if I,m  starving . I believe that it's the governments place to make sure everyone has enough food to live on .
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, the food parcels makes sense.

Regarding the free prescriptions I’m still unclear. I used to know why but have forgot :smiley:
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Food parcels are hit & miss. Iv only had 1 twice since this started. 
    Active well" delivered them in both,  the bread was 2 days passed it date and smelt of acid which I think is the yeast gone off.
    Now that's ok in the short term but I wouldn't want to eat food that's off.
    I have stomach problems besides other health problems. 
    So why has there been no other delivery??. I'm inmy 70s and disabled. Im told to stay indoors. Unless someone bothers to deliver I'll have to go out. And then I'll be told it's my fault if I catch this virus.
    As iv repeatedly said WHERES THE PHONE NUMBERS
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2020
    Misscleo said:
    Food parcels are hit & miss. Iv only had 1 twice since this started. 
    Active well" delivered them in both,  the bread was 2 days passed it date and smelt of acid which I think is the yeast gone off.
    Now that's ok in the short term but I wouldn't want to eat food that's off.
    I have stomach problems besides other health problems. 
    So why has there been no other delivery??. I'm inmy 70s and disabled. Im told to stay indoors. Unless someone bothers to deliver I'll have to go out. And then I'll be told it's my fault if I catch this virus.
    As iv repeatedly said WHERES THE PHONE NUMBERS

I’ve only had 2 food parcels also but that’s all I’ve been expecting so far since filling out the online form. Both parcels received on a Tuesday morning.
  • jacksprat
    jacksprat Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    @Seanchai is your son aware that there is a "season ticket" way to pay for prescriptions.  It is called a Prescription Prepayment Certificate, and costs 106 pounds per year.  If he gets more than 12 prescriptions in any year then this makes sense.  He can apply for this online. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    hi Jacksprat...I think you might have misread my post ( maybe more to do with my explaining than you reading it wrongly) .
    We all have free prescription in Scotland . ....but my son feels that anyone who can afford the prescriptions should pay for them . He wants to pay for his prescription but the pharmacy said he cannot pay for something tgats free.  My son feels that people who need a list of prescriptions and old people on bare pension should ( and do ) get them free. The doctor asked if he wanted paracetamol as he has a painful right elbow and hand ....the doctor said it was wear and tear related to his job years ago ...my son qsked if it's the same paracetamol that he can buy over the counter ..."yes , the very same"" ...he said that he will buy it . He strongly believes that millionaires and others who can pay for it , should pay for it. He is a man off strong principals ...which I suppose is a sign that he was brought up correctly .???
  • jacksprat
    jacksprat Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    hi Seanchai, sorry I misread what you were saying.  Getting old and frazzled..
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Still havnt had a 3rd food parcel.
    I'm told dont go out but at this rate il be dead behind the front door if someone doesn't wake up.
    A councillor said he would fetch my medications. That was surpose to be today. Hes had 7 days. Its 16.45 ???? What am I supose to do.
    The ease with which disabled & elderly are forgot is worrying. And they arnt counting us when we die according to the news.
    Why did I pay in for all  those years

• tcellmutation
    Misscleo said:
    Still havnt had a 3rd food parcel.
    I'm told dont go out but at this rate il be dead behind the front door if someone doesn't wake up.
    A councillor said he would fetch my medications. That was surpose to be today. Hes had 7 days. Its 16.45 ???? What am I supose to do.
    The ease with which disabled & elderly are forgot is worrying. And they arnt counting us when we die according to the news.
    Why did I pay in for all  those years

Sorry you aren’t getting any food parcels or any contact. I received my 3rd box this morning. I hope it’s not a postcode lottery

Brightness