If You like This? Try This — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If You like This? Try This

M_Anthony
M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
Hey

I was thinking what if we try a thread where we recommend other things if you like certain things (any subject doesn't have to be music). I will start with:

If you like the band Arcade Fire, try listening to the band The War on Drugs.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like this thread idea 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What sort of recommendations? 
  • M_Anthony
    Hi @April2018mom, anything you can think of, just post it here.
  • M_Anthony
    If you like the TV series Line of Duty, try Chicago P.D, it is more gritty with better character development than other CSI/NCSI american shows. 
  • M_Anthony
    @Hart86 I have been watching it on Amazon Prime, I think it was on 5USA at some point as well.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @M Anthony, 
                              Brilliant idea, I will have a go if I may please. If you like true stories based on personal experiences during an historic period try the film 'Unbroken' with Jack O'Connell and directed by Angelina Jolie. A truly inspiring story! Thank you. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to think I am doing my bit for the `war` effort. Making masks for local hospices.
    xxx
  • M_Anthony
    :@WestHam06 Thanks I do like TV/film based true stories, will have a look Unbroken at some point this weekend.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @M Anthony, 
                               Brilliant, please let me know your thoughts if you do manage to watch it. Also, tonight on ITV at 9pm there is a series starting called Quiz. It is based on the true story of a contestant on the quiz show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire who is accused of cheating. I am not familiar with the story but it looks good so I think I will watch it. Thank you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If you like Ed Sheeran then try The Dunwell's. :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How have you found The Quiz @WestHam06. I meant to set it to record but forgot. :(
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • M_Anthony
    @WestHam06

Hi, sorry it took so long! I watched Unbroken and I enjoyed it! I am going to check out the book as well.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    If you love dancing, I recommend Strictly or Dancing on Ice! 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    If you like true WW11 films, try 'The Railway Man' (2013) with Colin Firth, which you've all probably seen, or 'The Zookeeper's Wife' (2017) set in Warsaw during the occupation.  For WW11 dramas try 'Black Book' (2006) & 'Stalingrad' (1993) both based on true events.
    Thank you @WestHam06, I shall look for 'Unbroken.'
  • M_Anthony
    Another good WWII film which I can't believe I forgot to mention is The Thin Red Line, it is a epic film that is set in the pacific fighting the Japanese.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                    How are you? Quiz was brilliant in my opinion. It explored both sides of the story and I still can't decide if the gentleman and his accomplices who were accused of cheating actually did cheat? I think that I may actual have to watch the real version to decide for sure. Great programme, good acting- Michael Sheen made a brilliant Chris Tarrant, I would definitely recommend watching it if you would like too. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @M Anthony, 
                             No worries I'm pleased that you were able to watch it and enjoyed it. I think it is a fantastic film and Jack O'Connell is brilliant in it. I haven't actually read the book so I may have to look into this as well. I am still trying to find Apocalypse Now as I don't have Netflix or anything like that so I think I may have to look to buy it on DVD. Another WW2 film that I watched at the cinema was 'Midway' which is based on the true story of the Battle of Midway. If you enjoyed Unbroken you may well enjoy Midway too. Thank you. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                    How are you? Quiz was brilliant in my opinion. It explored both sides of the story and I still can't decide if the gentleman and his accomplices who were accused of cheating actually did cheat? I think that I may actual have to watch the real version to decide for sure. Great programme, good acting- Michael Sheen made a brilliant Chris Tarrant, I would definitely recommend watching it if you would like too. Thank you. 
    I was exactly the same!  After seeing the original show, and all the media at the time, I've believed they did it for the last 20 years...yet after watching Quiz I really don't know any more!! :o

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If you like car SOS on Channel 4, try Fantomworks on Quest. :)
  • WestHam06
    Hi @chiarieds
                           How are you? The film 'The Railway Man' in 2013 with Colin Firth was a fantastic film. Another humbling film to watch. I haven't seen the other film that you mentioned, please may I ask what it is about? If you do manage to find Unbroken, please let me know your thoughts on it. Thank you.  

Brightness