Extra 6 months given — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extra 6 months given

sarahmaccs
sarahmaccs Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone,

I'm Sarah, I'm new to this site. my uncle advised me to come on here as he said your all a lovely bunch.

My Review for PIP is up on September, but I contacted PIP and the lady said I have been given an Xtra 6 months with everything that's going on with no assessments going ahead etc etc. does that seem right? i suffer from severe paranoia and was abused when I was young so don't have much confidence in myself. your replies would be highly appreciated, thank you, everyone. hope to hear from you all ASAP. and happy Easter!
Tagged:

Comments

• sarahmaccs
    I am sure she said 6 months on top of when my claim is up for review, I might even call back to double make sure. for clarity.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahmaccs - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining, & your Uncle for his recommendation!
    I have read on the forum that in situations like yours, people were getting an extra 3 months, but as things can keep changing perhaps this is longer for some.
    From the government's website: 'where awards are due to expire, we will be extending end-dates so that claimants continue to receive financial support at their current rate during this period.'
    As you will see, there's no definite time period mentioned there.

• sarahmaccs
    @chiarieds thank you for replying to my post! my uncle said you guys are amazing and I can already see it so thanks ? I have spoken to PIP and my claim is up for review they said in Sep / October. my condition has got worse where legal advice was given to me that I should be getting more than I’m getting, is it worth sending that new evidence off now or wait till I get the letter? also I don’t go to F2F assessments as I have special needs and was abused when I was young with other factors, so DWP said my review will be getting done paper based only. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi again @sarahmaccs - I'm sorry your condition has worsened. If you have new evidence which relates to how you were at your most recent PIP paper-based assessment, then by all means send it. If this 'new evidence' is due to your condition worsening, then you can inform the DWP about this, & then go through a new claim.
    It's worth considering whether saying things have worsened will hopefully get you more points, & a higher award, before requesting this. On another thread you have I noticed that you have the enhanced rate for daily care, which can't be improved upon. Unless there's an aspect of the mobility component that has worsened, there's no point in notifying the DWP that your condition has changed as it won't gain you a higher award.
  • sarahmaccs
    edited April 2020
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will just wait to get the review forms. I have more evidence to provide this time. is it true that they can award it when it comes to a review ? if they are happy with what they have and nothing has changed in circumstances? in my case it has slightly gone worse which the evidence possibly will be getting sent off. I’ve been looking on forums and people have stated the review form is not as long. any ideas? once again thank you so much everyone for getting back to me. ?
    @chiarieds
  • chiarieds
    Hi @sarahmaccs - You are right, the review form is much shorter. However, you should complete it with as much relevant detail as possible, treating it just the same as your initial review, & giving those couple of examples as to the difficulty you face for those descriptors that apply. Just use extra paper if needed, ensuring you put your name & National Insurance number on each sheet.
    I don't know how long your current award was for, but, if you feel your problems are ongoing & not going to improve, at the end of this review form, or the last page you've added, ask for an extended award, giving your reasons. This would be for 10 years, altho the DWP can still review it at any time.
    Yes, you will get a decision letter saying what award, if any, you'd get. As it's being awarded on paper, your difficulties being appreciated, I would think you will be awarded again. :)
  • sarahmaccs
    @chiarieds thank you so much for getting back to me it really does me a lot to me and everyone else on here. my uncle was right you are all a good bunch of people ? my mum completes it as I struggle with my hand writing. but we are going to add as much information as we can. I was awarded it for 5. they are doing another paper based assessment closer to the time. DWP and the health care provider said there will be no Home visits or going for a F2F. they said it will be a paper based assessment. I contacted the PIP up as they said I should get a letter around September/ October , but the lady said I will be able to add a xtra 6 months onto it? does that seem to good to be true, maybe it’s me being paranoid ? 
  • chiarieds
    edited April 2020
    Hi @sarahmaccs - Great you are going to add as much info as you can (with your Mum's help). Just add those extra sheets of paper, as the review form gives hardly any room. We've had another member contact the DWP, & say their current award was being given a 6 month extension, rather than 3 months. Probably things have changed due to the current situation. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @sarahmaccs. I just wanted to pop my head in and welcome you to the community.
    I hope Chiarieds' guidance above has been useful, but don't hesitate to give us a shout if we can help with anything else. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sarahmaccs
    Hi @Adrian_Scope @chiarieds advice as made me feel so much better! my uncle was spot on you lot are a good bunch of humans. is there any chance I can check the review form out online? or if you can send me a link. PIP just said it’s a shorter - version. but I’m going to add as much information as I possibly can. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @sarahmaccs - Here's what the review form looks like.
    As I mentioned, the form is short, & doesn't give much space for answers, but rather than just using the space given, add extra A4 sheets of paper. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.