pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

Wonderboy
Wonderboy Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Well my husband had his telephone appeal for pip Got his letter this morning Refused only got 4 points He has arthritis in spine and ankle Copd Psychosis liver disease and diabetes dont understand He had been getting Mobility for 15 years 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wonderboy - Welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to read about your husband's PIP decision letter. I'm wondering whether this was his first claim for PIP after being on DLA. I ask because the criteria for PIP are different to those for DLA. PIP focuses less on diagnoses, & more on how your disabilities impact on activities of daily living & mobility.
    It's trying to get this across that people sometimes have difficulty with. It's why does he have difficulty dressing for example. Does he have limited movement in his arms, hands that are stiff, especially first thing in the morning, poor grip, etc. Does he need help putting socks on. Does the activity take a long time, cause breathlessness, or fatigue. What happened, describing a couple of examples, is the sort of detail that's needed.
    For now, you have one month from the date of your letter to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). This will be looked at by another Decision Maker. It might be helpful to look at the following link about each activity/descriptor & the points that may apply.
    His MR is best done by letter, saying where he should have got points & why. Unfortunately few MRs are successful, but it's a stage that has to be gone through before appealing.
    That's a lot to digest, but please do let us know at any stage if you have any questions, as there's usually someone here who may be able to help. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.