Don't Know What to Eat! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't Know What to Eat!

NudeJude
NudeJude Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone

I'm new here, so not really sure if this is the best place to post, but perhaps someone will point me in the right direction if I've got it wrong?  

Anyway, my name is Judi, I live in Wales, and have been disabled with a back problem for the last 20 years.  I have to take a lot of medication to try and keep the pain under control, and over the last 2 years it's really affected my taste buds, to the point where most food, other than sweet things doesn't taste right.  My poor husband, who does all the cooking in our house, is desperate to find something that I will really enjoy, but I just can't some up with any ideas for a healthy meal that I will enjoy, and of course eating just sweet things does tend to pile on the weight as I can't exercise.

So my question is, does anyone else suffer this problem, and if so, do you have any ideas on what I can try, as he's at the point where he'd sooner feed me sweet stuff than see me forcing down food that tastes awful day after day?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NudeJude - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. It's absolutely fine to have your post here, as food is often discussed in this section!
    Have you tried savoury food that's naturally sweet such as parsnips, carrot, turnip, sweet potato, peppers & squashes? All lovely roasted, as is beetroot.
    I love tomato-based recipes, which have a natural sweetness. Perhaps sweet & sour pork (I use pineapple slices in natural juice for this). Spaghetti bolognese with lots of tomatoes; I also add sultanas.
    Sausage casserole with onions, carrots, tomatoes, red pepper & 2 or 3 teaspoons paprika.
    Curries....caramelize the onions for sweetness, I add (homemade) mango chutney, pineapple slices cut up (reserve the natural juice to add to the curry later) & sultanas. I use half curry powder, half garam marsala which makes a mild tasting curry, so you can still taste the underlying sweetness. Use cooked meat or prawns.
    Personally I don't like coconut milk, again naturally sweet, but many curries utilize this.
    A rice salad....cooked brown rice & wild rice, cooked frozen peas, tin mandarin oranges (cut in half if wanted) & a little of the natural juice, or apple juice, with raisins.
    Another salad....apples cut into chunks, diced celery, raisins, seedless grapes with mayo, & a little natural yogurt.
    Old-fashioned Duck in orange sauce.
    These may not work for you, but just a few ideas. I'm sure others will come to your rescue. :)

• NudeJude
    Hi Chiarieds

Thanks for the lovely warm welcome!

Unfortunately, most of the stuff you mentioned doesn't work for me, although the rice salad may be a possibility.  Can't stand tomatoes, and yet used to love them.  Parsnips likewise, carrots are great raw but not cooked!  In fact most of the things that I do enjoy are either raw or bland, ie, I love fruit of all sorts, raw veg like carrots etc. boiled potatoes are fine, but don't really enjoy mash, chips or even roast that much anymore, and surely EVERYONE loves a roast potato??  Can't eat coleslaw, mayo, etc, as it's tastes gone off!

However, not to be on a complete downer, I think you may have given me a few ideas to play around with, my husband will be overjoyed!!  So many thanks for that!

Please keep ideas coming, as we're pretty desperate and at this rate I'll be eating nothing but sweet food like apple pie and custard, rice pudding, etc.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you heard of miracle berries?

I saw them on the program QI. They are a berry that, when consumed, make everything taste sweet. They come in tablet form which you can suck to coat your mouth in it, then whatever you eat will taste sweet.
  • NudeJude
    Sounds interesting 66Mustang, I'll go take a look, thanks for the heads up!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Off the top of my head this is a list of family favorites:

Toad in the hole
    Sausage and mash with peas
    Jacket potato
    Hotdogs
    Curry 
    Fish pie 
    Cottage pie
    Shepherds pie
    Pasta bake
    Lasagna
    Pizza 
    Burgers 
    Stewed pears with free range chicken
    Baked apples with salmon or pork
    Soup with French bread 
    Meatballs
    Casserole 
    Cannelloni 
    Risotto 

Tonight I ate a non meat stir fry. Since I have impaired taste buds I avoid spicy food at all costs. I tend to make two versions of every meal, a non spicy one for me and a mildly spiced up one for my partner and kids. 

Brightness