PIP cancelled out the blue — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP cancelled out the blue

Options
Mandy1982
Mandy1982 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi. I've been on pip for a good number of years and had no issues with it well I went to a tribunal to ask for a new trial. So anyone I've been receiving the money fine but yesterday I got a letter from the rent saying pip had ceased for me. The award had run its course. I didn't know it was coming to an end. I'm utterly heart broken, with all that's going on. It's like being kicked when you down. I phoned the guy up at PIP and he said their was nothing I could do accept to apply again. I know that'll take a long time so is no help right now. I didn't receive correspondence from pip saying my claim was coming to an end. In the past that's how they've operated. Is their anything I can do? I'm still on esa but low rate. What's the best plan of action? I think it's very callous for them to do this in the current climate. He said its cause the court put the end date on the claim and they couldn't change it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's correct although the DWP should have contacted you.

Us tribunal winners have to make new claims when our awards end, we're not given reviews.
  • Mandy1982
    Mandy1982 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Jurph. So is their no way if keeping the claim going? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are awarded PIP by a tribunal you are asked to re-apply 14 weeks before the award ends, if its awarded by the DWP you get 6 months notice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• androgynous
    androgynous Community member Posts: 74 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Jurph said:
    Unfortunately, it's correct although the DWP should have contacted you.

Us tribunal winners have to make new claims when our awards end, we're not given reviews.
    If that is the case, what happens to Tribunal winners when your award ends when you are in your seventies and you are not given reviews?

As over 70's are supposed to be having a 'light touch' review and you can't claim PIP again at that age, you can no longer reapply? Your PIP will cease? You have a 'review'?

It's a genuine question and you are supposed to be able to continue on PIP and not have to claim Attendance Allowance as the alternative?

I've not heard that Tribunal winners are treated any differently when their claim is coming to an end, certainly not that they have to make a new claim.

How does that affect over 70's?

Perhaps Mike [removed by moderator] could answer my question. Thanks.
  • androgynous
    Options
    woodbine said:
    If you are awarded PIP by a tribunal you are asked to re-apply 14 weeks before the award ends, if its awarded by the DWP you get 6 months notice.

Ditto as above.

If you are awarded by a tribunal you are asked to re-apply?

Even with a confimation letter of the length of the award from the DWP.

Don't tribunals suggest a length but the DWP make the final decision?

It's not set in stone?
  • woodbine
    Options
    Sorry I perhaps worded it poorly, if awarded by the DWP the review (change of word) will be 6 months before the award ends, if awarded by a tribunal the review will be 14 weeks before the award ends.
    Afaik the DWP will not decide on the length of award made by a tribunal (i stand to be corrected on that one).
    Not all over 65's (not 70's) will be given a light touch review, it depends on the reasons for the award being unlikely to change..ever.
    But in every case the DWP should/will contact you and if they for any reason they don't there's nothing to stop you contacting them.
    HTH
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• androgynous
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Sorry I perhaps worded it poorly, if awarded by the DWP the review (change of word) will be 6 months before the award ends, if awarded by a tribunal the review will be 14 weeks before the award ends.
    Afaik the DWP will not decide on the length of award made by a tribunal (i stand to be corrected on that one).
    Not all over 65's (not 70's) will be given a light touch review, it depends on the reasons for the award being unlikely to change..ever.
    But in every case the DWP should/will contact you and if they for any reason they don't there's nothing to stop you contacting them.
    HTH
    Thanks.

A review is very different to re-applying.

But those in their 70's still have a 'light touch' review? You never stop being 'reviewed' for PIP until you are in a wooden box. Or cardboard, my personal choice.
  • woodbine
    Options
  • androgynous
    Options

Perhaps Mike Hughes could answer my question. Thanks.
    Please forgive my suspicion but there’s been a history of recent joiners to this site joining to direct an attack on me on behalf of recent leavers so you’ll appreciate I’m somewhat wary of such requests coming out of the blue.
    I'm very shocked and saddened by your response.

I know you are a WRO and would therefore give me a reliable answer to my question.

What more can i say?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.