Carer's Allowance and IR ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer's Allowance and IR ESA

Options
Sineadsutty
Sineadsutty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hello I'm new to this 
My partner claims  ir esa. 
I applied for careers allowance and was successful. 
Careers allowance is saying I cannot get backdated money cos my partner gets Income Related ESA.
What's income related esa got to do with my backdated careers allowance.
Any advice would be great..
Tia

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sineadsutty and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry, but I'm unable to answer your query, but some of our members or one of the Scope Team maybe able to help you with this and if so, will post here.  It does all seem rather confusing and I hope you manage to get the information you are looking for.  Meantime, please find below some information about ESA which Scope have put together.  I hope you find it useful.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/employment-and-support-allowance/

All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sineadsutty - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. Carer's Allowance does appear complicated, & can affect either you, or your partner's benefits, but, as Ails mentions, the Scope team will be able to advise. Scope also has a free helpline. Tel: 0808 800 3333
    Carers UK have info on Carer's Allowance on their website, & also have a helpline. See: https://www.carersuk.org
    Tel: 0808 808 7777 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    I hope some of the above is helpful, & that you might let us all know how you get on, or if we can support you in any way. :)

• Sineadsutty
    Sineadsutty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank u @chiarieds.
    I rang the number ending 7777, they seem just as confused as I am. 
    Like I was awarded careers allowance, letter states I get £1196.20 backdated money,  less deductions of E.S.A (IR) paid to your partner £1196.20. So total to me is 0.00. 
    But their paying me Monday 11.5.20 and so forth.
    If they can give it to me nxt wk, why couldn't I have it backdated. Weird 1 I no.

I will be getting on to careers allowance when bank holiday is over. 
    Thanks for replying guys..
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Sineadsutty. Do you and your partner live together?
    If so, his ESA will be a joint claim so your income is included when calculating entitlement. Claiming Carer's Allowance would count as income, so would reduce his ESA by the same amount. So what they're effectively saying is that if they gave you the backdated Carer's Allowance, it would mean you've been overpaid by the same amount by ESA, so they've cancelled each other out.

However, a carer premium should then be added. 

Has your partner received any notice that his ESA may be changing?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.