Electric hand bike wheelchair add-on info wanted — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Electric hand bike wheelchair add-on info wanted

jetskidia
jetskidia Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi
I’m considering buying a Electric hand bike wheelchair add-on, there seem to be a vast difference between models, can anyone offer some advice on which model to consider please?
Incase I haven’t fully explained what I’m looking for here is an example, https://www.yorkshirecareequipment.com/p/mobility/electric-assist/e-pilot-hand-bike/

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @jetskidia and welcome to the community. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully one of our members might be able to speak from experience.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jetskidia, how are you getting on?

Here is some information that might help:

If you have an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, ask them for advice on what you need and what products are available. 

Please check out this link on working with your occupational therapist to find the best equipment for your needs 

Working with your occupational therapist 

Look for online discussions about what other people with similar conditions  use, such as:

• relevant Facebook groups

• AskSara, a website that provides online advice about buying disability equipment 

Think about how you plan to get the equipment you need and how to pay for it and what to consider before ordering it. 

The links below have good tips on what to look out for.

What to consider before you buy equipment (Disability Equipment Service) 

Disability equipment buying guides (Disabled Gear) 

When you’ve decided what equipment you want, and how you will get it, focus on researching the product. 

• Look for reviews online.

• Go to the manufacturer’s website to get information on the equipment. 

• Watch out for any product recalls or warnings. 

• Find out if you can trial the product to see if it’s right for you.

Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    If it is the ones I`ve read about, they are very expensive and you need to be sure it is right for you before you make a commitment.

I spoke to a dealer a few years ago who said it would make me walk again.

Charlaton!
    I didn't get one.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jetskidia

If this is for a child, you could try asking the Family Fund to help. Alternatively you could even have a fundraising event to raise the money. Go to the website of the manufacturer to look at all the important details on the bike too. Trust your feeling as much as possible. Do your research properly. Request some opinions. Stay alert to any possible scams.  
    Make sure to read the reviews carefully first however. Talk with a occupational or physical therapist too, maybe they can also help you. Be on the lookout for any recalls or warnings etc. Remember that they are definitely not cheap although ultimately worth it like a wheelchair or any other aid like a communication device. Seek out useful advice and jot down info on bike recommendations. Compare prices. 
    Ask a few questions about the product. If possible, make some notes and then test drive the product at home a few times before committing to see if you like it or not as well. Use a notepad and pen or the notes app on your iPhone for this. How often will you use the bike? Where will you use it? Consider how you will answer the two important questions. Check out askSara as this is a good source of information. I hope that this is helpful. 
    Enquire about a insurance policy in addition. Also do try to find out about the bike warranty in case. Get a active email address or phone number just in case. Write it down on your notepad. Figure out exactly what you like about that particular bike. Note down all of the pros and cons of the bike. Submit a post to any Facebook groups that you are a member of or instead create a thread with a question on a online forum asking for some handy helpful advice on bikes. Try to take a few pictures of the bikes that you prefer and then compile a shortlist then slowly whittle it down from there. Call or email for additional information. 
    There is a national Motability scheme which you could also look into. Email them with your questions. Or you can even check the website. Always have a vague idea of what you want or need. Prepare a short list of questions to ask the dealer. Their virtual information pack may even be handy. Search Which for options or reviews. Start with your therapists first though. They should be able to assist you in your search. 
    Good luck to you! 

Brightness