Housing advise for 23 year old — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing advise for 23 year old

kmg
kmg Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My daughter has various health issues and still lives at home. We have a small flat and she has started to want her own space and independence.
She only works part time as its all she can manage and sometimes that to much and she crashes resulting in a few weeks off work. She/we cant afford private rented property and wondered if she is eligible for housing via council or housing associations.
Thank you 
Maria

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg welcome to scope, no harm and talking to the council/housing assoc. in your area, but there are usually long waiting list, is she on any benefits? she would probably qualify for help with private renting but we would need more details to advise.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I don't have anything else to add other than what @woodbine has already advised.  I just wanted to welcome you.  Good luck in finding suitable housing for your daughter.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • kmg
    Hii thank you for the info. She is on dla high care low mobility. I will have a word with housing and see if there is anything they can do 
    Thanks again 
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @kmg
    I've included this link below which has details about claiming housing benefit and a benefits calculator. This might be helpful if your daughter is looking at extra financial help with rent costs. She may also be eligible for council tax reduction benefit. This is claimed from your local council and is a separate benefit. 
    I hope this information is useful. 
    Best wishes 
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • kmg
    Very helpfull thank you so much 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg, and a warm welcome to the community. Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• kmg
    Thank you so much

Brightness