Housing advise for 23 year old — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Housing advise for 23 year old

kmg Member Posts: 4 Listener
My daughter has various health issues and still lives at home. We have a small flat and she has started to want her own space and independence.
She only works part time as its all she can manage and sometimes that to much and she crashes resulting in a few weeks off work. She/we cant afford private rented property and wondered if she is eligible for housing via council or housing associations.
Thank you 


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,251 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg welcome to scope, no harm and talking to the council/housing assoc. in your area, but there are usually long waiting list, is she on any benefits? she would probably qualify for help with private renting but we would need more details to advise.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I don't have anything else to add other than what @woodbine has already advised.  I just wanted to welcome you.  Good luck in finding suitable housing for your daughter.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • kmg
    kmg Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hii thank you for the info. She is on dla high care low mobility. I will have a word with housing and see if there is anything they can do 
    Thanks again 
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @kmg
    I've included this link below which has details about claiming housing benefit and a benefits calculator. This might be helpful if your daughter is looking at extra financial help with rent costs. She may also be eligible for council tax reduction benefit. This is claimed from your local council and is a separate benefit. 
    I hope this information is useful. 
    Best wishes 
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • kmg
    kmg Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Very helpfull thank you so much 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,565 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmg, and a warm welcome to the community. Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)

  • kmg
    kmg Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you so much


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.