Calculation error with ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Calculation error with ESA

shamus5864
shamus5864 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Re: Calculation error with ESA.

My wife was placed in the support group for  ESA after losing her eyesight over two years ago and there were no issues regarding the calculation of her ESA payment.
However, two days ago she received a letter from DWP to advise that her payment had been reduced significantly by £50 pw after taking into consideration her two small private pensions.(Despite already making a calculation in September’19 wheN they had received information from her about her two small pensions and reduced her payment then which was correct)
she then called DWP who informed her that this had been verified and checked as correct and someone would call her if she had to “pay anything back”.
After checking I knew they had made a serious error in their calculations. Indeed, Based on calculations: the first £85 pw is not considered and 50% of every £1 thereafter is deducted from ESA. 
Therefore, she is going to Try contact them today.
Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @shamus5864
    Hope you are well. 
    Has your wife got anywhere with the dwp regarding this?
    Is her ESA contribution based?

Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • shamus5864
    shamus5864 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    LouiseH said:
    Hi @shamus5864
    Hope you are well. 
    Has your wife got anywhere with the dwp regarding this?
    Is her ESA contribution based?

Louise :smile:
    Thanks for replying Louise. The ESA is contribution based. DWP informed my wife that someone would “phone back in the next 3 days. In the meantime they have already made the deductions.
    There’s no doubt in my mind that the calculation is wrong. It’s just so frustrating.

• Redstar3
    Redstar3 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Refer to the phone again  or emails .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.