The DWP seem to think a degenerative disease means improving!? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The DWP seem to think a degenerative disease means improving!?

puddlesmudge
puddlesmudge Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Ive just had my pip reduced for the 2nd time despite recently having to have a total hip replacement due to 30+ years of arthritis! What planet are they on? And is there someone who can really help with this as I'm now not only still disabled but can't afford to live! 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @puddlesmudge and welcome to scope, they are probably under the impression that a hip replacement has improved things for you and I assume this isn't the case?
    Next step is a mandatory reconsideration (MR), during this process you can point out where you didn't score points and think you should have, if the MR fails then you will have to appeal. Can you get help from welfare rights or CAB?
    good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• puddlesmudge
    thanks Woodbine. I was actually waiting for foot surgery due to arthritis when my hip became worse than my foot. Although the hip is now much better, I still have the foot pain and abnormalities and cant wear proper shoes. I also have arthritis in my other hip. All explained during the telephone assessment! ? But apparently according to report I have zero lower limb problems? Really I cant wait to wake up tomorrow now Ive been deemed normal! No pain no having to be careful how I put my foot down with every step its gong to be absolutely marvellous!!!
  • puddlesmudge
    I was in agony with hip for about 9 months before surgery & of course the recovery time so 14 months in total - got nowhere with them. I was actually waiting for foot surgery due to arthritis when my hip became worse than my foot. Although the hip is now much better, I still have the foot pain and abnormalities and cant wear proper shoes so when its safe to have surgery I still need foot doing 

• puddlesmudge
    But according to them, Ive no lower limb probs? 
  • puddlesmudge
    I was on DLA as of 35 years ago then put on to pip when it took over. I was on the highest level originally (ie when i was alot younger and the disease had only just started diforming my joints). Then they took me off the care part and recently when I needed more help as Id been chucked out of hospital to fend alone after just 2 days in hospital and major surgery - then by the time they actually got round to replying (months later) they have taken the mobility off but it wasnt due to hip problem i had mobility in the first place it was due to foot deformities - ive got disclotated foot joints very painful and swollen - BUT Im fine according to them!>??
  • puddlesmudge
    down now to lowest level  Im 64 still trying to work  ( due to being a Waspi woman). Self employed cos no one would employ me and I couldnt meet an employers demands anyway

• puddlesmudge
    Im thinking of using my savings to pay for fightback phone call but its £80? would you recommend?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I would refer you to my first answer and that is to concentrate on the MR. @Username_removed has also given you great advice.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.