Making new friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Making new friends

Rower
Rower Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I'm new to this group. I'm  44 years of age and would like to make new friends. I moved many times when I lived with my parents and have now settled in a large City. I walk with crutches and I like to keep fit, working out at the gym, swimming and canoeing. I usually go on an activity holiday in the Lake District which I absolutely love but unfortunately isn't on this year. I recently joined an art group, I volunteer at a City farm and I enjoy going to ice hockey. My main interest is sport but I'm also interested in conservation issues and animal preservation.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rower and welcome to the scope community, you do seem to pack a lot into your days, I hope you have been ok during lockdown? Hopefully things will slowly start getting back to some sort of normal.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rower and welcome to the Community from me too.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you and I hope you are having a nice weekend.  Wow, you really have lots of interests and seem to be very busy with them!  That is fab!  What kind of work do you do at the City Farm, it sounds very interesting?  I'm sorry to hear that your activity holiday has been cancelled this year and hope you can return to it next year.  I walk with crutches too.  Good to hear you like to keep fit.  

You will meet lots of lovely, friendly people on here and it is a great way to meet new friends.  I have met some wonderful people here since joining nearly 2 years ago!  I'm sure you will fit right in with us!  Please have a look around the site and join in any discussions that you fancy as we talk about a lot of different things and we also have a virtual Coffee Lounge where it's often a good place to start chatting to people.  I hope you enjoy your time with us anyway and I look forward to seeing you on here.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just say.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, nice to 'meet you', you certainly have a lot of interests, good for you, hope your doing ok during lockdown
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good to meet you @Rower. You sound like you lead a very busy life! What sort of sport are you into besides ice hockey?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi glad to meet you Rower you certainly lead a busy life am looking forward to getting to know you ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rower Welcome to the community nice to have you on board.

Im sure you will meet new people on here who share some of your many interests.

I look forward to seeing you around
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Hello @Rower

Welcome! It is great to have you.

I have never been to see ice hockey before, do you get visiting international teams, or is it just local ones?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @Rower, welcome to the community! How are you today? :)
    Scope

• Rower
    hello to every one being very active but which sports are you looking to do or holiday's when lockdown is over i am looking to go back to Calvert trust adaptive  canoeing and sport i recommend people take up adaptive rowing or any sport because that will protect you aghast    covet 19 virus in the future?
  • kerrie81
    kerrie81 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi all I'm new to this group but its nice to talk to others that are in the same boat as my self would love  to make new friends 
  • Rower
    I've been a bit fed up not meeting people like I usually do. I wont be able to swim as swimming baths unable to offer usual support re getting in pool etc. I find swimming helps my shoulders. I'm going to start back at the gym with my personal trainer as he will book me a slot but the cafe wont be open. I usually have lunch out if I can. I do have a rowing machine at home but I'm struggling as ive had a new seat which is very hard and uncomfortable. Bring back the old one.
    How are you all doing? Ive spent a lot of time using my slow cooker each day and have been using a local cafe who deliver meals sometimes for a change. Especially Sunday lunch. Ive started back at the City farm where i volunteer and they have installed some new raised beds, so im in the gardening section at the moment. How have you filled your time? That's all for now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Sorry you're feeling a bit fed up @Rower. I've recently started rowing at home too. I've had a rowing machine for ages but it's been serving as a coat rack for the past 5 years so thought it was about time I put it to use. What sort of meals do you cook in your slow cooker?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness