LCWRA and employment/self-employment query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and employment/self-employment query

SALIM_PATEL19
SALIM_PATEL19 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
My friend is receiving the LCWRA of £341.92, as part of his U. C.

Please advise, what's the best option (WITHOUT LOSING THIS £341.92). 

1. Self Employment - how many hours and/or income, can be undertaken. 

2. Employment - how many hours and/or income can be undertaken. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SALIM_PATEL19

Welcome it’s great to meet you this morning.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I will forward your post onto a good friend on here of who knows the how the “Benefit System” works in side & out.

Hi @Adam_Scope

Can you please help me with this post???

Many thanks 

@steve51
  • SALIM_PATEL19
    Great... 

Thanks for your swift response... 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SALIM_PATEL19 Welcome to the community in answer to your question you are allowed to work less than 16 hours per week or an average of less than 16 hours per week.

You can not earn more than £140 per week. you must also complete the permitted work form and send this to the job centre  

This information was found on the internet so I would check with the job centre to ensure it is correct before commencing any works

• janer1967
    Also any work you undertake must not conflict with the reason for your LCWRA, and it could trigger a re-assessment
  • SALIM_PATEL19
    Many thanks... 

Do let me know, if I go into self employed, then the Cap on the hours and/or earnings, without affecting my LCWRA 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited June 2020
    Hello @SALIM_PATEL19 and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to contradict @janer1967, but unlike ESA, on UC LCWRA there is no limit to working hours or earnings. 

As long as the work you do doesn't contradict your reason for claiming LCWRA then there isn't a problem. It will be taken into account when you are reassessed though.

With regards to it affecting your claim, with LCWRA you'll have a 'work allowance' on UC. This is the amount you can earn before they begin making deductions for earnings. If you have housing/rent help on your claim you can earn £292 a month before they start making deductions for your earnings. If you don't have help with housing/rent you can earn £512 a month before any deductions are made to your UC for your earnings. 
    After this amount they'll lower your UC by 63p for every £1 you earn.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    @Adrian_Scope thank you for correcting me and giving the correct information 
  • SALIM_PATEL19
    Many thanks, Appreciated... 

Keep up the good work... 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.