Will I lose PIP if I move in/marry my boyfriend who also has PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I lose PIP if I move in/marry my boyfriend who also has PIP?

Options
UnseenGhost
UnseenGhost Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi, so I am looking into moving in with my boyfriend in the next year or two. I've heard some stories online about people losing their disability benefits when they live with (solely), or marry, another disabled person on benefits. We both get higher rate mobility and I'm worried that I will lose my car if I move in with him. Can someone advise please? Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @UnseenGhost Welcome to the community nice to have you on board.

Your PIP award is not based on your marital status or if you live with someone, it is based on your ability to carry out daily living and mobility.

However moving in with someone could affect other benefits like UC/ESA/Housing benefits/council tax

I suggest you seek advice from CAB or welfare rights
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @UnseenGhost! Like @janer1967 said, PIP won't be affected. 

Do either of you claim any other benefits?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.