DREAMS - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DREAMS

Options
2»

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ronni
                       Thank you for your kind words and I do hope that you are able to get the adaptations you need soon as I am sure this will help you and make your life a little easier.  I agree that the word 'dream' means different things to different people and I completely agree some really inspiring posts. Thank you to you for starting this post and sharing your experiences, it has led to some really inspiring and great conversations, thank you :) 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Thank you for your kind words, I greatly appreciate them. I know what you mean when you say how a small minority of the public don't treat veterans with the respect that they deserve but like with most things it is ignorance and a lack of respect. They are individuals and do not represent the majority, we all have a choice of how we view things in this country and I think the majority view veterans as you and I do and most would be disappointed to hear how some are treated after they leave the forces. I too am in my mid twenties and have only just, in the last year, chose to seek professional help but it is one of the most positive decisions I have made. I hope that the help you are receiving continues to support you to manage your issues so you can lead the life you would like to lead. I think it is hard being a teenager anyway but when you have additional struggles such as a disability it can make it harder to navigate. If I may share with you please, that is one of my long term goals, to work with teenagers who have disabilities and to work through feelings or just talking about future worries or what they would like to do in the future. I think one of the problems in mainstream education, is that there are few disabled role models so this can affect how disabled students feel about the future. As I say it is a long term goal and I am doing research here and there, exploring how best to develop this and though it is not an immediate goal, a bit like the driving, it's floating in the background. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds
                           What an inspiring post, thank you so much for sharing with us and also thank you for you kind words, I greatly appreciate them. Good for you for following you what you would like to do and I imagine you are a fantastic physio as well as a great role model. You are absolutely right, anything is possible but sometimes if you don't achieve it that is ok too. I think it's about how we overcome barriers to the best of our ability and sometimes I think the world forgets that and just focuses on success, my opinion though. I remember once being at a school career's day and another peer said to me "I bet you are so bored as you don't need to worry about careers, you will just live off of benefits your whole life". I didn't even warrant them with a reply and just wheeled off. I have had a part time job for the last 6 years and have been able to progress in this, with many learning opportunities. Thank you for your inspiring post :) 
  • Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you @WestHam06
    Wasnt expecting the amazing responses. 
    The adaptions would likely be another year.

I've lived 15 yrs in a adaptive bungalow. That's adapted somone with full care. Not a semi independent person.

But I have a good imagination and can find things things that were meant for somthing else. But use it for completely different thing.  My imagination keeps me going 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,594 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @WestHam06

I do think it's especially hard being a teenager with issues that prevent you from doing what other teenagers can do. For example, watching my peers sitting their exams, meeting up with friends, playing sports, having relationships, etc., but not being able to do the same, was very depressing. I feel like I lost those years of my life, which should be the best years, to my illnesses, and now I only have the downward slope in life to look forward to. I often wish I had had a normal childhood and young adulthood and then became unwell in my mid 20s, then I'd have been able to enjoy my "prime" years. However, there is no point looking back on the past that can't be changed, I am going to just try to look forward at what I can change and hopefully have a better future than past. :) 

I wish you all the best for the future as well and I hope you too are able to lead the life you want to. That is a very great goal to have and a noble thing to want to do. I agree there are not many disabled role models around and it kind of gives the impression that to live a fulfilling life or to be successful you need to be totally able bodied/minded to compete in the world which is not the case. I have found quite the opposite in fact in that in some ways having a big problem to deal with makes you stronger and more resilient than the average person. However I only realised this recently - people need to discover this when they are still in their teenage years otherwise they may just give up during school and will then fall behind. Maybe having more role models would help there.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit!
  • Ronni
    Options
    @66Mustang

You are not hijacking. I am enjoying reading all have written. What you   say about growing up. I  was thinking. Yea I remember that. and i was one of those that gave up on school. I wish I hadn't.  Gave up on a lot. It never to late.
    Focusing on the future rather the past.

I did two posts same time. 
    Dreams.
    And plans for the future. 
    This thread has turned out way better than I imagined.
    It's not mine.
     It belongs to anybody who writes on it.

• WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang,
                               Thank you for your insightful and inspiring post as well as your kind words. It was really interesting to read your description of your teenage years as I can relate to aspects of what you were saying. I'm sorry to hear that you became unwell and that this affected your teenage years and young adolescent years. I try to look at it like this, different things come to different people at different times and I believe I will have my 'prime' in years to come. It may not be like it would have been as a young adult but it will be just as good and enjoyable. I would love to see more disabled role models in mainstream schools as I think it would support disabled students more to cope emotionally as well as looking to the future. You are right when you say about leading a fulfilling and successful life but I hope we can move towards a better understanding in society that this comes in a variety of ways. Also, when you have a disability or health condition, I do believe you develop attributes such as determination more wholeheartedly compared to peers who perhaps don't have as many barriers to overcome. That said, I think this is true of anyone who has faced adversity in their life. Great to talk to you and I hope to see you around the community. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @Ronni
                     Pleased to hear that you are obviously creative and adaptive in the way that you use things but I hope that they can get the adaptations that meet your needs as quickly as possible. This thread has been amazing and thank you for your kind words regarding that it is everyone's who has commented on it, I am sure that will mean a lot to all who have posted, I know it does to me. I look forward to seeing you around the community, take care. Thank you. 
  • Ronni
    Options
    Thankyou @WestHam06

It not so much post about Dreams.

But even better. Sort of about 
    The Past, Present, and a Future.

Sometimes it's not about how it begins..... but abour the journey and how it ends....
    Or continues. ?

Take care.

Brightness