My wifes entitlement??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My wifes entitlement???

Options
BazzaBhoy67
BazzaBhoy67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there, 
My wife has m.s & i have been led to believe she could probably receive PIP as a result??? 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 and welcome to the community. PiP is not about the diagnosis, but how it affects a person's ability to carry out daily tasks and mobility. Let us know if we can help you further :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 Welcome to the community nice to have you on board. PIP is about a person's  ability to carry out daily tasks. Using a set of descriptors they are assessed against their ability to carry out the task, any aids needed, any support, if they can d the task, how often they can do it etc.

Dasily tasks include, eating, preparing meals, washing and bathing, taking medication, communicating, handling finances and the mobility section is seperate looking at mobility and being able to walk oir follow a journey.

There is a lot of information about PIP on here and also on the internet. Let us know if you hav e any specific questions 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Bazza and welcome to the community! 

Here is the PIP descriptors which your wife would be tested against. This also might be helpful:

PIP components

PIP has 2 parts:

• daily living component for people who need help to take part in everyday life
    • mobility component for people who find it hard to get around

Each component has a standard or enhanced level, assessed under 12 activities, 10 for daily living and 2 for mobility. For both components, you need:

• 8 to 11 points for the standard rate
    • 12 points or more for the enhanced rate

To qualify, you must have met the conditions for 3 months and be likely to meet them for the next 9 months.

If there is anything else then please let us know. :)
    Scope

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Bazza

A very warm welcome.

You should seek the assistance of the MS Society.

They have a freephone helpline, that will link you with a benefits adviser, tel: 0808 800 8000.

Let us know how you get on.

Stay kind and be safe.

Best wishes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi @BazzaBhoy67 - & welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining. I'm sorry your wife has MS & hope you're both coping at this difficult time.
    I remember someone here saying about a useful booklet done by the MS Society. With apologies if you've already seen it, but sending 'just in case,' as it's more specific in helping a person with MS claim PIP. Please see: https://www.mssociety.org.uk/care-and-support/resources-and-publications/publications-search/claiming-personal-independence-payment-booklet  which you can download as a pdf.
    I'm sure their helpline will also be helpful, as mentioned above. My best wishes to you both. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.